Lilypie

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Another Dedication ....

1. This sonnet epitomises what love is, which I agree too.

William Shakespeare, Sonnet No. 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown although his height is taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, no man ever lov'd.

2. This second sonnet, from another one of my favourite poets, is on how you must love a person in his / her whole, not just because of the physical features.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnet XIV

If thou must love me, let it be for nought
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
'I love her for her smile - her look - her way
Of speaking gently, - for a trick of thought
That falls in well with mine, and certes brought
A sense of pleasant ease on such a day' -
For these things in themselves, Beloved, may
Be changed, or change for thee, - and love, so wrought,
May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheeks dry, -
A creature might forget to weep, who bore
Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!
But love me for love's sake, that evermore
Thou mayst love on, through love's eternity.

3 comments:

Richard said...

You need to overcome feelings of inadequacy. Remember the bible verses on love:

Love is patient; love is kind.
Love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude.
It does not insist on its own way: it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice in wrong doing, but rejoices in truth.


You have selected beautiful poems.

KaiRiNu said...

Very sweet...
I wish u guys the very best!=)

shakespeareheroine said...

Richard and Kairinu : Thanks! I find them really beautiful too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...