Lilypie

Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Perhaps, Love

I was watching the DVD of the Chinese musical movie "Perhaps, Love" the other day. The thing that struck me the most was Jacky Cheung - still a majestic voice, still my favourite singer in Mandopop. Now I wish I have gone to his "Snow.Wolf.Lake" concert last year.

It was actually a movie within a movie. Jacky Cheung plays a movie director who acted as the main supporting actor in his movie. The leads are Takeshi Kaneshiro (still the same boyish look even after more than ten years) and a Chinese actress whom I cannot recall her name. But she is pretty, especially her eyes - prominent double eyelids and perfect almond shape. How I wish I can have eyes like hers!

The entire movie is on love and sacrifice, not of yourself, but of the love which two people have come to share. Often, when people set out to do what they want, the loved one has to be sacrificed so he / she will not be held back by the relationship. One wonders just how strong the love was in the first place if it can be so easily given up.

But the show got me thinking. The path of true love never does run smooth, yet how many people are willing to brave through obstacles together? Or perhaps people are just so self-centred or pampered that they give up when they come across any difficulty?

A friend told me the other day that if a guy is not even prepared to go through a little difficulty for me, then how reliable can he be? This was paraphrased in my own words, in case I get accused of misquoting.

This came about when I was saying how difficult my parents can be, and I do not blame my exs for not willing to get to know my parents better. So he said winning parents over are but a minor thing, there are more difficult issues to face in the future. So if the guy is not even willing to go through the small trouble of winning my parents over, maybe he is not that reliable in the first place.

But it is true that in the course of a relationship, many obstacles have to be faced. What is winning over parents compared to, say, terminal illness? If the guy is not even prepared to fight for me, is he going to run away if I get struck down by some terminal illness?

Is he going to give up if we face major financial problems or on the brink of bankruptcy? Is he going to just scoot off if our relationship or marriage face some problems? Will he stick by me throughout no matter what problems, major or minor, we face?

Maybe the reason why there are so many breakups, separation and divorce lately can be due to people not willing to work things out and just give up. Sometimes I wonder how can anyone promise anyone else a good future if they run away at the slightest problems?

Maybe what the female lead in the show said is true - "In this world, the only person one loves is oneself". But it is sad indeed. If we can love ourselves so much, why not use the same amount of love and give it to another person? Make another person feel loved like he / she has never felt before.

Perhaps love really only triumph if it has withstand trials, tribulations and obstacles. If after all the major problems and whatnot, and the couple still emerge inseparable, maybe that will be the type of love that will truly last a lifetime.

2 comments:

KaiRiNu said...

Exact sentiments!=)

shakespeareheroine said...

You too? Great minds think alike!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...