Lilypie

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Communion At Last!

This is one great Easter day! Finally, I am baptized, and I received the first Holy Communion last night! It was such a touching moment when the priest asked me to dip my head at a forty-five degree angle and then poured water on it. At that moment, I felt that I was cleansed from all sins and have been reborn again, as a renewed person.

The entire mass was really spiritual and the atmosphere was different from normal masses. I have never felt so spiritual attending a mass before, except for the Christmas midnight mass last year. I could really feel the magic all around!

I am a true Christian now. Not that I never was one, but now I have been baptized, everything seem to be so official. I have to adhere to the "saying of grace" before every meal - something I have never done because my family members and some of my friends are not comfortable with it. I do that only when the person I am eating with is a Christian too.

I have to adhere to the "no meat Friday". I am the type who just eat anything anytime anywhere, but now I have to make it a point to turn vegetarian on Fridays, or eat seafood.

I have to go to church more often. I used to go only on Sundays and Christmas Day itself, and the occasional Christmas midnight, and Good Friday mass. But now I have to make it a point to go to church for most major events, like Maundy Thursday, Ash Wednesday, All Saints Day, etc.

Now I know why baptism is so important for all Christians. You start being a real one only after you are baptized. I do not know about others, but good things have been happening to me ever since I started on the journey to baptism.

Before I started on this one-year journey, my life was in a rut. I was stuck in a job I hated, in a relationship that was crumbling, with parents who always misunderstood me, with people who took me for granted and back-stabbed me, with a pesky brother who made life hell for me.

Ever since I started on the journey, things slowly improved. I do not know if it is coincidence or a message from God, but whatever it is, I only know that my life has never been better ever since I decided to get myself baptized.

Yesterday, my parents and my brother all attended my baptism. My dad specially flew back early just so he could attend. I was really touched. After so many years of conflict with them over church-going, they were there for me.

My mum even bought me a platinum necklace with a diamond-studded cross as a baptism gift. She spoke to her colleague who is also a Catholic about what to give me and what to do, and her colleague gave me a pendant with a card. How sweet of him!

But the most surprising thing was that before I left the house yesterday to meet my dear for a meal and watch the show "Tristan And Isolde" (before he brought me to my church), my mum told me this is one of the best things I have ever done, besides the choral group.

She said it is good to believe in something, to have a faith you can turn to, and she may like to do that one day, but right now she does not have the time and do not think she can commit fully. And she said it in front of my dad, who has always been against Christianity (although he does not show it upfront).

My jaw dropped when I heard that. If my mum can say that, then miracles do happen. And if that is how things are going to be better, then I am all for that! I am a true believer of miracles now!

4 comments:

Richard said...

I think the difference between being baptized and not is the difference between being invited to share equally in the celebration and simply looking on as an outsider through the window.

In Canada we are allowed to substitute some other penance for meatless Friday.

I am glad you have had a strong spiritual experience. I have had a few - the strongest was at the consecration of some seminarians. Other times it has usually been during morning or evening weekday mass, when the only ones present are those with strong faith. I think the strength of the faith of those present is a determining factor. The Spirit is strengthened by their presence and diluted by those who are only there out of obligation.

I pray you will find peace and strength in your new life. I pray that you will allow th Holy Spirit to gently guide you towards truth.

Remember, the voice of God is not found in a rushing wind, or the trembling earth, but in the quiet gentle breeze.

"Go out and stand on the mountain before the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. Then there came a voice to him that said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 1 Kings 19:11-13

You may replace Elijah's name with your own. How will you answer?

Richard said...

BTW, did you choose a new baptismal name?

Also, do you get to receive communion under both species - the church I attend here gives communion under both species.

KaiRiNu said...

Happy for u...=)

shakespeareheroine said...

Richard : Hard answer that. And no, I'm sticking to my own name since it's already derived from a saint. I'll be getting a new confirmation name though.

kairinu : Thank you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...