Lilypie

Sunday, April 30, 2006

General Elections 2006

The nationwide elections are coming, and this is the first time I will be voting. I was already able to vote during the last elections, except the constituency I am under was uncontested the last time round, so the Minister won by a walk-over.

I am never really into local politics. To me, as long as I lead my own life and the government is doing a pretty okay job, I do not wish to be entangled in any political conflict and complications. However, this time round, I have to make a choice between voting for one of the most prominent members of the main party, or one of the most prominent members of the opposing party.

There are certain issues with the main government which I have, but then, there is not really any freedom of speech here so for now, I just have to be a good citizen and keep my mouth shut, while griping about things behind closed doors out of earshot of any prominent figures.

Despite certain things, one cannot say that the government has not done a good enough job. Comparatively to some other countries where the entire Cabinet and ministries are in a mess, I must say our local government is pretty good already.

There is almost no hunger or starvation, unemployment rate is almost zero, citizens do not feel oppressed (oppression is by parents, not the government), no racial discrimination, equal opportunities for all and everybody is leading a rather peaceful life.

Thus, in this respect, the country is well-managed at least. One need not fear gangfights or racial riots or oppression of women, and we can go about our daily lives knowing we are more or less safe and secure.

So anyway, I have already thought about who to vote for. At least I get to vote perhaps this once in my life. My brother is stuck overseas and he is not coming back, so he does not need to vote this time. But my choice of voting? That shall remain my own secret, and anyway, it is too dangerous to declare in cyberspace. ;-)

4 comments:

addy said...

hey cel, think we are under the same GRC rite? :) anyway, what's this ban on election topics in blogs during this period? we are just ordinary folks, the MPs should be the ones who try to sway the public..not us! so much for freedom of speech eh?

shakespeareheroine said...

Ah yes, we are under the same GRC. And I totally agree with you that we can speak our mind on election, but well, being citizens, you know how our local political scene is like, so sometimes it is better to just keep your mouth shut in order to save trouble.

Ole' Wolvie said...

With no competition, even the best performer will begin to stagnate.

Sure, Singapore is doing good. But is it really doing its best already?

shakespeareheroine said...

Well... I have some comments to what you said but they can't be stated in public.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...