Lilypie

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bothersome Phone Calls ....

Wonder if any of you ever experience any forms of cold calling from anyone? What is it about those cold calls anyway, that they get so pushy and ask all kinds of unnecessary questions? I used to answer these calls, but nowadays I find that the more I answer, the more cold calls I get.

In the first place, how in the world did the first telemarketer get my number? Or is it because my number is in such a nice sequence that anyone can call me just by playing around on the phone? I had contemplated for very long whether to change my number, especially to avoid people I have no wish to associate with, but then if I change, I will not get such a nice number anymore!

No doubt those callers are just doing their jobs, as they probably have a list of quota to fill for the day, or week, or month. But do they have to be so downright irritating? If companies or organisations are to hire telemarketers, can they not hire people who speak at least decent enough English without any trace of local colloquialism in the way they speak?

I guess many of these companies hire part-timers, like students, or foreigners, or housewives, who want to earn some extra income but can only afford to spend certain amount of time. Companies are out for business after all, so they are doing nothing wrong.

However, if a person is already so irritated with a pushy telemarketer, and trying ways and means to hang up politely but the telemarketer keeps cutting him / her off and asking more questions and rambling on, it does not help one's disposition to cringe at every word the telemarketer is saying. That is a big ear sore!

I have received calls where the telemarketer cannot even speak English, and asked me if I can communicate in Mandarin! The way I speak Mandarin is what people will term as "half-past six" and it gets so exasperating to have to repeat every word as she was not able to understand what I was saying.

Then there were calls where the telemarketer would just keep rambling on in a mechanical voice, and each time I attempted to say that I was not interested, I could not even get a word in as she would just keep talking and never allowed me to cut in.

I used to think of other's feelings, which was why I tried to entertain as much as I could. But when the calls became more and more frequent and ridiculous like winning a grand prize in a lucky draw, or winning some numbers in an overseas company when I never take part in lucky draws nor buy numbers, I have to be firm and stop entertaining these people.

After all, I realise that if people want to be in a job like that, they are expected to face failure and rejection. Which is why I can never be in the marketing line, because I know I am the type who gets very disillusioned with rejection. Besides, I do not even know them, so why must I spend my time and incur phone charges talking to people I do not know or wish to hear from?

2 comments:

imp said...

i've given up wondering how telemarketeers get my number.

i simply reply 'thanks, not interested' and hang up.

Ole' Wolvie said...

I got two of these calls in the past half a year. Calls that starts by asking if I can speak mandarin.

All I did was answer: "Who is this?" in Japanese, and they hung up :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...