Lilypie

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Side Side Step!

Our second Tango class on Sunday went pretty well. We learnt how to be in sync with our partners by shifting our weights to one foot, then moving the other foot. In other words, the men have to be the ones moving forward, backward or sideways, with the women just following along. She must be able to sense and know where he would be moving with her eyes closed.

So we started moving along with the music. Was it my imagination or did I sense that he still seemed pretty conscious of holding on to me? Despite that, we moved along pretty well, except at certain times when I could hardly feel which direction he was moving.

We learnt the steps to go forward, backward, side, and the criss-cross of one foot over another foot. Pretty easy steps actually. The way to go about is to hold on to each other, then the man will lead the lady into going forward, then backward, then side, and finally back and she would cross one foot over the other one.

So it is up to the man to decide which direction to take, be it front, back, right side, left side, and which foot, whether right foot or left foot. He has to let his partner know in advance which foot and which direction by putting his weight on the foot he does not intend to move.

Perhaps the reason I could not feel it sometimes could be because he does not weigh that much more as compared to me? Obviously I am still lighter, especially in light of the recent weight loss programme(s) where I have almost gone down to my desired weight, but he is not that heavy in the first place. Hmmm... really must practice more!

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

In Ballroom Dances, "leading" is a skill that the guys have to learn, and it is not easy.

Heck, I have been learning it on and off for 2 years and I still don't know how to "lead" properly. (Then again, it may be juct that I am a lousy dancer :P)

I can immediately see one problem though. From what I have been taught, "leading" is about body frame and body contact. And from what you write here, the "proper contact" is not there.

juphelia said...

Actually it's better already, compared to previous lessons. But the most important is that we had a fun and interesting time!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...