Lilypie

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Learning How To Interact

It is hard to understand another person. People are different, so it is already fate that brings two people together, be it as friends or business partners or lovers. Otherwise why is it that in each person's life, he / she will come across certain people but not others?

Some are luckier, as in they tend to meet the better people in life. Some are unlucky, as in they get cheated again and again. And there are some who drift in and out of people's lives, never knowing how to get along with others.

There are all kinds of people in this world. I know of people who go around shouting and raising their voices just because they want something to be done. There are others who ask nicely and politely. There are those who do not even ask and just help themselves.

For someone to be friends, the chemistry must be there. Otherwise, most will just be at acquaintance level. There are some who can only be mere friends, there are some who become close friends, and there are some who develop further like best friends or even relationships. And there are some whom no one wants to associate with.

Getting along with people is never easy, even if the chemistry is there. It is not possible to always be happy and jolly, even amongst friends. There will be times when a person feels down, or tired, or stressed, or just want to be alone.

True friends are those who adapt to the situation accordingly, go through the ups and downs and happiness and sadness, and not just being focused on themselves. On the other hand, fair-weather friends are those who are only willing to stick through the happy times but run away whenever something goes wrong.

Like for instance, if all of a sudden a close friend becomes distant and aloof, shall I take it personally that he / she is no longer interested in being my friend? Or shall I just leave him / her alone and let him / her sort out on his / her own?

If I am a true friend, I will adapt accordingly and give the person some space, asking about the well-being, but at the same time not being too pushy. If I am a fair-weather friend, I will take it that he / she is no longer talking to me and drop him / her.

I guess in every friendship or relationship, one should not be too sensitive. Everyone is entitled to his / her own time to mull over things, especially in this highly stressed and busy society. One cannot expect to always be in the best mood all the time.

If my friend is also a true friend, he / she will catch up with me after he / she is in a better mood. Otherwise, I know where I stand. In which case, I should contact him / her a final time and if the aloofness is still there, perhaps it is best to just call off.

There are other situations of course. For instance, if someone I have no chemistry with keep leaving me messages when I want nothing to do with this person, shall I just tell him off or shall I just ignore, or shall I reply politely but half-heartedly hoping he will get the message?

If the person is respectful enough, perhaps he will get the message and leave me alone. But in most cases I have never been that lucky to meet respectful people. Rather, most of the pricks I meet are, well, pricks, who never get the message across and think persistence is the key.

It is never easy interacting with others, but what we can do is to just try our best and adapt according to situations. For instance, never ever be so clingy if the other person has no wish to be associated with you. Similarly, never be pushy if the other person wants some time alone.

I am just stating some examples on how to get along with others. There are many other ways and examples, because humans behave in all kinds of ways so one tip does not cover all. Humans are social animals after all, and being able to interact with people successfully is but a skill. Some have this skills and some still have to work on it.

I definitely still have lots to work on, especially in changing my attitude towards certain things. And with that, I hope to become a much better person and friend to others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...