Lilypie

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Let Nature Take Its Course

I used to understand this idiom when I was younger. Yes, there are many things in life where we should just let nature take its course, instead of rushing, plunging, worrying, et al. By letting things flow smoothly on their own, the end product will be far more beautiful and successful than pushing forward before anything is ready.

This applies to many instances. In studies, in work, in relationships, in love. Kids know this, most adults know this, and now that I am getting old, I ought to know this. My best friend just sent me an e-card, with the following message : "We have come so far and ... we are reaching the end of our twenties ... to the stronger and more mature women that we will become in our thirties. Cheers!"

Now, am I that age already? *Sob sob* But I must say, besides my family, she is one person who has seen me through my various stages of life, from late teens to my twenties, and hopefully the rest of my life too. Even more than my childhood friends, who, at certain times, disappeared and then re-entered. She has stood by me all these while.

Anyway, the gist of this post is that when I retrieved her card and read the message, I realise that to be stronger and mature, I have to change my attitude towards certain things. I have to stop building castles in thin air, forever dreaming of an ivory tower, and start to go back down to Earth and be realistic. And that is how nature comes in.

If any of you remember my post on how detoxed I felt after my trip, I must say that I truly have been making effort to change. To stop using so much of my heart and start using my head. Although it is not that successful at times as I still lapse into fantasy once in a while, it is already much better than in the past.

Once in a while, there are still some "what ifs", but I have learnt how to control that without letting my emotions go wild and start making a mountain out of a molehill. So the question is, why the sudden pondering on letting things go naturally? I am still trying to sort out my thoughts, so please forgive me if I am rambling on incoherently.

The thing is that when I was still a carefree youngster, I found that I could achieve things just by putting in a bit of effort. I would not say it was my best effort, but at least I did what I was supposed to do, ie study and completed my homework, revised my notes, then took the examination, and the results would come on its own.

That is what letting nature takes its course is all about. Do what one needs to do, just put in the effort, and the results will show without any need for real worrying or anxiety. Things will flow naturally without giving much thought.

This works in a lot of areas. Of course when one was still young, all one ever needed to do was to study. As long as effort was being made, the results would show somewhat. It might not be up to expectations, but at least things would not be that bad. Instead of worrying too much, just let things flow.

When a person grows, this idiom will be useful in other areas of life. Like the choice of a tertiary course, in work, even in the choice of a life partner. I never really worried much about whether I could get into a certain course, as that point in time, I was keeping my options open for other courses in the event I did not make my first choice.

Even in the choice of a life partner. No doubt I was very hurt after being dumped by a certain prick, but I realised that I was better off without him and a better guy would suffice. A better guy did come, and even then, we started off as pals, then close friends, then started hanging out more and more with each other, and finally we just got together. That is all the work of nature taking its course.

From there, we started to learn more about each other, adapted to each other, witnessed changes in each other, and the next natural step was marriage. No doubt that never sufficed in the end, but when one lets nature takes its course, these would normally be the ultimate end to a relationship.

Even when I started working, I always thought that if I put in effort, did what I needed to do, nature will take its course and I would be promoted to a better position, or what I did would be recognised and appreciated.

Little did I know that not everything is within control. So was I more naive, or gullible, or innocent, or simple-minded that I thought things will flow smoothly and naturally as long as I did what I was supposed to do, put in the necessary effort? Or was I more sensible?

Because as the years progressed, I no longer have that belief that things will flow on its own. Could it be due to after being hurt badly, that I no longer believe that a relationship needs a strong friendship to sustain? Could it be due to me being burnt out after my teaching days, that I no longer have the energy to strive for higher pastures?

But that should not be the case, should it? After all, certain things really cannot be rushed. I read somewhere that a job and a partner is co-related, ie finding a job is just like finding a partner. One needs to screen through what / who is suitable or unsuitable, then go explore the options, then try out a few, before finally settling into a permanent one.

And that is what letting nature taking its course is all about. Someone who abides by it is someone who understands the true meaning of having a beautiful and successful end product, like a life-long companion, and a good job you like.

In the process, options have to be slowly explored, screened through, try out a few, nurtured, developed, before finally picking one that will be the permanent base. And along the way, after one makes the choice, the feelings and chemistry will develop on its own.

Just like when looking for a job, or settling down in a job, it takes a while to try out and experience the job scope, environment and culture before one decides whether to quit or continue. Which is why in most companies there is still a period of probation, to let both sides get used to each other before deciding whether to continue or terminate.

Looking for a partner is about the same. When two persons first get to know each other, there will be lots of adjustments and adaptations. Both have to see if the other person is suitable, in terms of character, background, interests, thoughts. But it is more complicated where people are concerned, because people are different, so it takes longer to really know a person, unlike a job.

Thus, letting nature take its course is still the most effective way to do things. Do whatever that is needed to be done, and then leave the rest up to God or fate. This is one's future we are talking about, so it should not be taken lightly. Just let things flow and develop on its own instead of fretting and worrying too much.

And that is what I have learnt (or re-learnt) in the past week. So I have to start getting my life back into shape and have a happier disposition, instead of always fretting about things. Whatever will be, will be!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...