Lilypie

Monday, December 13, 2010

A Different Wedding Celebration

The past weekend seemed to be rather popular dates for weddings. On Saturday, I went for my friend's wedding and on Sunday it was the wedding of my dear's friend.

The wedding on Saturday was special because it was a traditional Indian ceremony held in a temple. This was the first time I was going to something like this so I had no idea what to do.

When we reached the temple, we had to first take out our shoes. Then music started and the groom had to go through some rites. After that the bride came in but she was ushered into a room at the back of the temple by her "sisters".

After that the groom was also led to the back of the temple by his "brother". The temple master (not sure if this is how he is to be addressed) then continued the music and the ceremony without the presence of the bride and groom.

A while later, the bridal couple appeared again with a change in clothes. This time they were seated side by side with garlands put on their necks. I must say, the Indian saris are beautiful! The girls look really elegant in them!

After the rites were conducted, we were given dry yellow rice to be thrown to the bridal couple. I was told this was to bless the couple. The bridal couple then had to walk one round the hall of the temple and that concluded the ceremony.

Reception was at the community centre next to the temple. It was a buffet lunch of Indian cuisine. It was a simple yet memorable wedding because this is something different for me.

Compared to the run-of-the-mill Chinese banquet I attended the following day, this Indian wedding is one of the most beautiful wedding ceremonies I have ever attended, because there is no fanciful stuff, no expensive ballrooms and no cheesy photo montages of what they look like as kids. It is just on a couple who are in love with each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

And that, is how a wedding should be and getting married is like, instead of the big broadcast to show off to everyone and anyone. It is the bridal couple's affair after all what they want to do and what food they want to serve, and not anyone else's business.

If I ever get married, it is my business who I invite, what kind of food I want to serve and where I want to hold my wedding. It is also my business whether I want to showcase a photo montage and what kind of music to be played.

If there are people who are not happy and have things to say, then they are welcome not to attend, because getting married is the first day of the rest of my life as I join in matrimony to the man I am spending the rest of my life with, and not a mere wedding ceremony just for show to everyone and anyone.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

In Malaysia, many couples who are planning their wedding tend to get into disagreements with their parents because the parents want things done their way.

The worst is when they insist on inviting long lost relatives whom the couple have never met in their lives!

And the parents usually get their way cause their excuse is that they are forking out money for the wedding expenses, sigh ...

juphelia said...

Actually it is the same here. Most of the wedding celebrations I have attended are on quite big scale simply because the parents of the bridal couple insist on inviting this and that person. Some parents of the bride even insist that the groom give them certain number of tables as dowry, so on the wedding day itself, there would be two separate "red packet" boxes - 1 for the bridal couple, 1 for the bride's parents. And at times the parents did not even pay for the celebration, everything is forked out by the bridal couple.

To me, I feel that if the couple foot all the expenses, then they should decide how they want their wedding celebration to be like. Parents should not interfere as getting married is between the couple and not something to broadcast or for show.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...