Lilypie

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Minor Hacking Incident

I thought after all the security measures, my account would be safe from getting hacked. A few months back, my dear's accounts (Facebook, email and instant messenging) got hacked. His email started sending out weird things and "he" was chatting via Facebook making advances to some of the girls in his Friends list.

One of them happened to be my schoolmate so I got to know about it, but the time which he was allegedly making advances online was when he was away serving the country and had no access to the Internet at all.

The thing was that the hacker knew all his personal information, changed his email name to mine (and made our friends so confused), and even went so far to disclose information about us (like our anniversary) to the people he chatted with, which was why they thought it was really him (Mr DC).

In any case I told him it was because his account was so public, so anyone could just access his information so easily and readily. I am not sure if he changed his account privacy as yet.

My account, on the other hand, is private, as in only those whom I have added or who have added me as Friends will be able to have access to all my information like photos, messages and biodata. I do not see the reason why I need to disclose all my whatever specifics to every Tom, Dick and Harry, or every Jane, Pam and Mary.

So I got a big shock when Facebook sent me a message when I was going into my account, saying there had been a recent access to my account at an unrecognized location! The system even mapped out where in the world my account had been accessed, which was near Chicago!

I wad told to log out and change my password. But when I tried logging in again, suddenly I realise I could not access it anymore! My account got suspended! I was told to log in from a proper computer and follow the instructions there.

So that was what I did when I reached home. The instructions were to change my password (again!) and then log in again. This time round I managed to access.

Luckily my account was not messed up in any way! I really do not wish to be blamed for any unsolicited and uncalled-for messages by anyone!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

Coincidentally I experienced the same thing like you too!

I did not have access to Facebook for about 1 week due to unforseen circumstances.

When I finally managed to log back in, there was a notice about some unauthorised access from some place in the US (can't remember where).

I had to do the entire verifying myself process and changed my password.

I wonder who are these people and why are they hacking into other people's FB account. It's not like FB's a bank account or anything monetary.

What do you think?

juphelia said...

You too? I guess some people just want to steal other's info out of mischief and malice. Afterall if they want to create havoc in cyberspace, what better way of not being found out than to pass off as others?

Which is why I always feel hackers are really unethical and more should be done to clam down on these "cyber crimes".

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...