Lilypie

Friday, December 10, 2010

How To Kill Time On Public Transport

I have forgotten how taking public transport on my own is like already. Three years back when I had to take an hour bus journey back from my workplace to my home, I would always sleep, or if lucky enough to have colleagues in the same bus, we would talk to each other.

Last year when I moved back to the Central Business District, it was never a problem thinking up what to do on the train because the journey was only twenty minutes. I could always just relax and enjoy the scenery going by.

Then when I moved to an industrial park, it was another long journey back of two buses and more than an hour's journey. However I did not need to face the long journey on my own as my dear would always accompany me home.

Now that I have moved to town, it is much easier getting home. I only need to take a train ride of less than half hour. However because the stations are underground this time hence no scenery to see, I have to start thinking up ways to utilize my time while travelling.

With modern technology, there is no privacy anymore. Anyone on the train or bus can be just caught on a camera phone or video and the photos and clipped uploaded on the mass blogging platform or YouTube. So we have to be even more vigilant with our behaviour in public.

That means no more looking over people's shoulders while they are reading or smiling at amusing scenes or hankering for seats. All kinds of "undesirable" behavior can make one famous without even knowing it.

So what else can we do while on a moving bus or train?

1. Read. This has always been a favorite pastime of mine. We can read anytime anywhere, sitting down, standing up, even walking and crossing the street.

However due to public scrutiny (one never knows who is watching you nowadays!), we have to be more selective over the kind of books we read. Normally I do not care. I read anything I can get my hands on, be it comics or children's books.

But now I have to choose my reading material more carefully as I do not wish to end up starring in a YouTube video on full-grown mature adults who still read kiddy books like any three-year-old.

2. Note down things. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with so many things to do. So while commuting, I would remember and note down appointments and schedules so I can clear my mind. Otherwise my mind is in a whirl with too many things to remember!

3. Write. With the blogger installed on a smartphone, you can write and blog anytime you like!

4. Check emails and surf the Internet. Okay, this is not really recommended as it will only make you a slave to your gadget. Do this only when you really have time to kill and if there is no one else with you. Otherwise it is actually very rude to play with your phone or any gadget when someone is with you (unless you are replying text messages but do that quickly too).

5. Last but not least, sleep! After a hard day's work and you feel so drained, what can be better than a nap, especially if you are one of the lucky ones who managed to get a seat? But do be careful not to miss your stop otherwise you will have to take another round back!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...