Lilypie

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Visiting

It has been a real tiring week. Because Eurasians are big on Christmas - they celebrate Christmas the way Chinese celebrate Lunar New Year - I got to join in the festivities as well.

Christmas Eve, we were supposed to go for the normal midnight mass, but since we had to go to his aunt's place to countdown, we went for the early evening mass instead before dropping by his aunt's place. Everyone was dressed in their best and there was feasting and partying, with everyone going around shaking hands and kissing each other on both cheeks, wishing "Merry Christmas" when midnight struck.

Christmas Day, I spent the day with his parents at his place and helped entertain his relatives that came over to visit. Boxing Day we decided to take it easy even though his parents went to visit his dad's relatives.

Monday I was again over at his place and waited for his other relatives on his mum's side to visit his place. Tuesday, he brought me to two of his cousin's place to visit. Wednesday (yesterday), we went to visit another one of his cousins, all on his mum's side!

Come to think of it, I have not seen the relatives on his dad's side. He himself is not that close to them. My family is more close knit as I know all my cousins on both sides pretty well.

In any case, when Eurasians visit each other, they had to shake hands, kiss each other on both cheeks and say "Compliments of the season". I never knew this. He says only Eurasians will know this custom.

All these visiting have really tired me out because we went after work and stayed for a few hours at least. Hence I have been reaching home past midnight for the past few days. Just a few years back, I never had a problem staying up late. Now it seems that I am really too old to keep staying up late!

But it was a good experience. One only learns another culture when one gets immersed into it. Compared to my family who does not celebrate Christmas, this is the only way I can experience a "real" Christmas - surrounded by family and loved ones.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...