Lilypie

Friday, March 14, 2008

A Chinese-Speaker .... Not!

I was taking the bus with my colleague from China last weekend, and we got engaged in a discussion on books by Eileen Chang (张爱玲). I know my mum reads her books, in fact I came across one of the books "半生缘" (roughly translated, "Fate Of A Half Life") on the bookshelf the other day.

Apparently, not everyone can appreciate Eileen Chang's books, but she was to China what Shakespeare was to England, even though they lived in totally different eras and cultures. Just like it takes a certain kind of linguistic flair and passion to truly appreciate Shakespeare, it also takes someone of great depth and intellect to be able to understand Eileen Chang's stories.

I have not read the books, although I am rather familiar with the gists of some of the stories. Apparently Eileen Chang writes about life and love, and her observations of men and women. But her messages are not that straight forward, one must really digest her books before they get what she is saying.

Anyway, my China colleague was remarking that she thinks my standard of Chinese is the best in the company, and that got me really stumped. I told her that so many of them speak better and more fluent Mandarin than me, whereas I still struggle over some of the words and pronunciation.

Then she said, anyone can speak, but I seem to be the only one who can actually read and write Chinese and able to translate into English and vice versa. Well, I have been through like twelve years of mother tongue lessons, so the basics would be there, would it not?

Anyone who has been through our local education system would be able to at least read and write in the mother tongue, right, especially those from Chinese or neighbourhood schools? Although I was from a mission school, but anyone who had been paying a bit of attention in class would be able to grasp the basic foundation.

So why is it such a surprise that I can read and write Chinese words and able to understand and explain the meaning? I do not believe those Chinese-speakers will do a worse job; in fact they should do a better job since they are more comfortable in the language, whereas I am still officially monolingual!

But my early education boils down to my mum. My parents are both avid readers, so even before I could speak, my mum would read a bedtime story to me everyday. An English story on odd days, and a Chinese story on even days. On Sundays, she would read stories of both languages, and taught me how to speak and recognise the words.

Maybe that is why I still love reading, even now. Although I read more English books than Chinese books, since I take double the time reading Chinese characters than English words, but still, it is a good enrichment. Just like music is the food for the soul, books are food for the mind. And for that, I am truly grateful for the foundation my parents laid out for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...