Lilypie

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What Matters In Life?

My first brother and I were discussing this article last night. He was remarking that Mr Mark Z is only his age, yet already the world's youngest self-made billionaire. Which puts his (my brother) perspective in a different light, wondering what in the world is he doing with his life?

Hmmmm.. I can so relate to that! I am almost entering the next decade of life. My peers have graduated, worked, married, given birth. Complete. Whereas I feel the same way as my brother - what in the world am I doing with my life? Where in the world am I going in my life?

My mum always says not to compare. Ironically, she was the one who always compared when we were younger - to our cousins and peers who had better results, better piano skills, better sports techniques, better behaviours.

I guess it is human nature to compare. Truth be told, I feel a tinge of envy too when I hear or see of people my age or younger being so successful in certain areas, or having a warm and complete family, whereas I have still not reached the time as yet.

But comparing only makes one depressed. Afterall, one normally compares with one who is better. Nobody will ever compare with one who is worse. Even since school days, whenever I scored a certain grade, I would tell my mum there are so many who scored worse than me, and she would always say why must I compare myself with those who were worse instead of those who were better?

I guess the best thing is to just live our lives to the best we can and accept that we are different from all others. There are some who are born with good lives and can achieve great things in life, and there are some who just live normal solitary lives for the whole of their lives. What matters is not what we achieve in this life, but whether we have lived a fulfilling and enriching life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...