Lilypie

Monday, March 31, 2008

Stock Clearance ....

Finally! I managed to finish my one thousand two hundred word paper on the architecture and compelling pull of the Roman Colosseum, as well as a two thousand word paper on the extent of how social and cultural factors affect the use of English in everyday life. Although I think I may not be able to score very well. Now I only have a thousand-word report to finish by Wednesday then I can breathe a sigh of relief (until the next deadline in another month's time).

It had been a fruitful weekend indeed. Besides rushing assignments, I bought a few more books (twenty more in fact), cleared my stock of books and met up with a very nice and interesting person. One can really learn so much once one widens one's horizons and meet up with different kinds of people, of all backgrounds, qualifications and walks of life.

I realise the reason why I have so many books is because I have a few versions and editions of the same book. To date, I have three editions of "Great Expectations", four editions of "Pride and Prejudice", two editions of "The Kite Runner", "The Inheritance of Loss", "Life of Pi" and "War and Peace", three editions of "The Little Prince" and "The Diary of Anne Frank", and of course, five editions of "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare". Not to mention a few different editions of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass", "Complete Brothers' Grimm" and "Complete Hans Christian Anderson".

Many of my books have yellowed with age. Ever since I started buying and keeping books, I have never gotten rid of any, except those which my brothers used to tear when they were young, and for that I always cried whenever I see any of my books being torn apart. Books to me are a precious commodity, something which I can keep and last for life, and having different editions just make for a good collection.

But due to lack of space, at times one just have to be practical. So I did something which I have never done before - I gave away almost everything that have repeated titles. Thus, now I only have one "Pride and Prejudice", "Great Expectations", "The Kite Runner", "The Inheritance of Loss", "Life of Pi", "Alice in Wonderland" and "War and Peace".

As for the rest, I am never giving away any of the Shakespeare books, "The Little Prince" or folk tales, as the different editions have different illustrations. Some have the original coloured artwork which are just too precious to give away.

I initially thought of bringing them to sell at a second-hand bookstore, or donating them to an orphanage or children's home, until my maid requested if she could have them. She is going back home in May, and would like to bring the books back home as it has been hard for her family members to get hold of any decent storybook.

I am more than willing to oblige of course! She told me her family members and herself love reading and studying, but due to circumstances, they were not able to do more of those. No wonder she always helps herself to our books, and I always see her reading in her room after dinner or when she is on her break.

Yes, books are a rare priviledge in certain countries and places. Our local students really do not know how lucky they are that books and resources are so easily available everywhere here. Yet for some reason, they just hate reading and learning. We should take a leaf out of people from less priviledged places, in their thirst of reading and learning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...