Lilypie

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Big Women (大女人) Or Little Women (小女人)

This is a bit late, considering I wanted to post this last Saturday (International Women's Day). Anyway during lunch yesterday my colleague was remarking which kind of a woman is perfect to a man?

Is it a "big woman", someone capable, strong, independent and the type that put guys off because they are too smart and powerful? Or is it a "small woman", someone who whines and feeds the ego of guys, with guys taking care of her and being pampered?

Well, nothing can be taken in extremities. Apparently the conclusion is that the most perfect is a combination of both - being smart and independent, not petty and narrow-minded and can understand how men function, like a "big woman", but at the same time able to coax a guy, let the guy pamper her and take care of her, like a "small woman".

Come to think of it, women have really come very far. Considering even in the 1970s, there were still hardly any female graduates around, and even for those women who did manage to graduate from university, not many companies were willing to hire them, as the stereotype was that women would never be as capable as men, and in any case, after they got married and gave birth they would become a homemaker.

My mum was one of those rare ones who managed to graduate and find a well-paying job. And she was also one of those rare ones who still manage to work even after having kids, when some of my relatives have to become homemakers once they have a family.

In the past, women were thought to be not as capable as men, not as smart, so their opinions and views were normally not heard. In fact, women could never open their mouths to speak what was on their minds. They had to be overshadowed by their male counterparts, even though their ideas could be better than the men's.

Needless to say, in the olden days, women who married really had to depend on their luck whether they married a good man who would be nice to them and not fool around, and whether the in-laws would treat them well and not abuse them like slaves.

Even if they had to suffer, they could only do it silently, never opening their mouths. Everything was blamed on the new wife of the family, to food that was not cooked right, or death in the family, or a natural disaster, or being childless, or giving birth to only girls and not boys. It was as if the woman brought all the ill fortune by marrying into the family.

Luckily things are much better now. Women are more opinionated, have more opportunity to have a higher education, and in almost every respect equal or even better than men. However, there are still some men nowadays who think women should still be submissive and soft-spoken in front of them, and they do not like the outspoken types.

There are some women who are the stronger partners. Like my mum, definitely she is the more capable one than my dad. The wife of the owner of my company, she is also a rather prominent character. These are really the "big women".

To me, I like being the "little woman". The "big woman" at work, but the "little woman" at home. I enjoy doing the housework and cooking for my loved one, taking care of him, being loved and pampered, being well taken care of by him, letting him make the decisions, submitting to him and whining to him. And I believe a lot of women out there can relate to what I say.

My best friend used to be the "big woman". And even though she is more of a feminist than me, she, too, has become the "little woman" at home. Nowadays, our phone conversations are often interrupted or cut off, because her husband is hungry and she needs to give him his dinner, or her husband has come home and she wants to make sure he is comfortable.

How a strong woman has changed! But I do not blame her, because I know if I ever marry, I will do the same too - be the "little woman" to my man!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...