Lilypie

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Job Recognition

Now that our Head has left, the poor Legal Counsel is taking over his job until the new Head arrives (no idea when). With his departure, all of a sudden, I seem to be in the "limelight" for a lot of things.

In the past, the higher ranking staff never bothered talking to me, but all of a sudden, I get asked for meetings and negotiations, and people offering their help in the event I need help. And the Managing Director himself started talking to me, calling me into his room for meetings, where in the past he only spoke to the Head.

Shall I take this as good news? In a way, I suppose it is the time to prove my worth, time for recognition after more than a year of being bounced around and forgotten. However, to put it in another light, it can also be a time for more "screw-ups" since if even the "big shots" are scrutinising me, there is practically no room for mistakes, no matter how trivial.

In other words, I no longer have the freedom to control what happens in my work or do things at my own pace, but have to be more careful how and where I tread.

Lately I have been headhunted. For some reason, several headhunting firms have been calling me up, asking if I like to submit my resume, and the companies whom I seem to fit are big companies, either listed or MNCs, and the post will be regional, not local. Needless to say, the remuneration package will be more attractive than what I am having currently.

Those who really know me know that I am not one to be swayed by big pay packages or attractive prospects. My main criteria is a job which I do not mind and a company which I like. Which is why despite being so tempted to leave several times, I still stay on, because at the bottomline, I do not mind what I am doing and this is a good company. Besides, things are getting better of late.

I guess the bottomline in any job is recognition. No matter how much your job frustrates you, it feels good to be recognised and asked for views as it shows that people do know of your existence and do know you are the person to go to for certain issues. This itself is a reward on its own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...