Lilypie

Friday, March 7, 2008

Dating In Modern Times

I was sick for two days, so have to shift the audition. Luckily the music school is kind enough to let me shift it to two weeks later. At least now I have managed to buy more time to practise the pieces! Although judging from my progress, I hardly think two weeks is enough to whip the pieces into shapes, but I will just give my best shot and then see how the results will be.

I managed to find a website that gives Indonesian lessons! Thus I have put the widget on my sidebar, then I will be able to listen to the audio lessons and learn how to speak at the same time. Perhaps the next time I meet my Indonesian relatives, I can converse with them already!

I met a friend last night, and she brought me to The Dating Loft. Actually I am not really interested in anymore dating agencies and services, since I am still under Lunch Actually, but I just went with her to check it out.

With so many dating agencies, websites and services around, one cannot help wonder that there are so many people out there who are also looking for the one special person. What is strange is that with so many people who are looking, why is it still so hard to find the right one?

I am not referring to those who just want flings, but serious, professionals who are looking for a lifetime companion. It is precisely because of demand that all these dating services feed the supply. And with more and more websites and agencies coming up, it seems the demand is getting more and more.

And with all the dating services I have come across, like It's Just Lunch!, Lunch Actually, Exclusive Match, and the recent ones like The Dating Loft, Drinks At Eight, Good Luck Friends Centre, even the Social Development Unit (which ironically seems to be the least popular when it is the first one that was set up by the government), the fact that they have new members every so often probably shows that I am not alone in this world of failed relationships and looking for a companion, ie there are thousands out there who share the same fate.

Which makes me think : with all the dating agencies and websites around, why is it then getting harder and harder to find someone? There have been those who join the various websites and agencies, yet never able to find anyone.

These websites and agencies were set up to help people like me and my friends who are sharing the same fate to expand our social circles in the hope of finding a suitable partner, especially nowadays when one is getting older and we no longer have single friends, or the chance to really be involved in activities.

The kinds of men I meet in my workplace are either married, too young or too old. The same goes for those in my church. Thus the need to register on these dating websites and agencies, in the hopes of increasing my chances of meeting someone special.

But how did people in the past do it? Before all these websites and agencies were set up, how did people find their other halves? It seems so easy in those days. I see my cousins able to find their other halves so easily, without help from any of these. It was as if they could bump into their special someone just like that.

Is it because nowadays people are getting more and more selective, especially since most have been in relationships before, so they are even more choosy over the types they look for? That they keep thinking there is someone else better and never satisfied with the ones they are seeing?

But at the end of the day, whether a relationship will work is not how happy a couple is when things are going well, how much in common they have, how much they can talk about, but whether they are willing to stick with each other when things are not going well, whether they have common goals and values towards a lifetime commitment. Like whether the guy is willing to be there for me no matter what happens, and not run away at any hint of problem.

So perhaps when the right person comes along, I will just know. And when that happens, maybe whatever criteria I set out will be thrown out of the window, because what really matters is someone who is committed to me to make the relationship work, someone I can rely on and feel secure with, and not someone who will let me down again.

3 comments:

A Place to Chow said...

How did people in the past do it? Certain aspects come from the values they have been inculcated in. Being exposed to teachings of confusius, etc, their values towards marriage are quite stringent as compared to what we are now.

Unknown said...

How did people in the past do it? It seems so easy how to attract women with body language in those days.

Unknown said...

I’ve been looking for a really good online dating site for some time, but they are not that good with many fake people, and I found globogirls.com, it's actually more of a social network thing for people who would like to meet travel mates from different countries. The good thing about it is that it's totally secure because they have the feature of video chatting with these girls so you'll not share your personal contacts unless you're 100% sure , One thing that I really liked was the tips on how to avoid scam and fraud.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...