Lilypie

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Onward To A Performance Level

So the piano test is over! Whew! The teacher who was testing me has an Associate Certificate from Trinity College of Music, London, so she is very qualified to assess my standard. She is a soft-spoken, nice lady who is very encouraging, so I was not nervous at all.

Her comments were that my Moonlight Sonata is good, but the Radetzky March is a little jerky. Actually, I kind of know this is what she would say. She then gave me a sight-reading piece, which is Muzio Clementi's Sonatina Opus 36, in all three movements.

This is a song which I have been playing quite a lot when I was young, but to just play the whole song on the spot is something else altogether. Needless to say, even though I was able to play the whole song with both hands, still there were some wrong notes and dynamics here and there.

As for scales, she gave me Hanon's finger dynamics, which required my fingers to run up and down at a fast pace. Again, there were minor mistakes and jerkiness here and there. Luckily she did not ask me to play the full scales in major, minor chromatic and minor harmonic!

So the conclusion is that I am not yet up to performance certificate level (I kind of expected this), but if I am to start over from Grade 5, it will be too easy for me. However, since it had been a long time since I have taken my exams and I have lost touch with the instrument, I need to re-take Grade 5 Theory and Practical again before I can progress to a higher level.

So she wants me to take Grade 5 Theory and Practical, after which she will advance me straight to Grade 8, and then progress from there. Well, at least it is not as bad as I thought! She did ask why did I not choose Mozart or Bach, as those songs are easier. Hmmm... I never really thought of that.

At least now I am able to work towards a certain goal and that is what I am happy about! If there are no goals, then life is not worth living!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...