Lilypie

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Terms Of Endearment

I guess most people in relationships will have a pet name for their other halves. Definitely my parents have, they call each other by their respective nicknames, which only my dad has for my mum and my mum has for my dad.

My best friend calls her hubby the most commonly used form of "dear dear". As such long time friends, she and I have our own nicknames for each other too! Once two people get really chummy with each other, they can start calling each other names (in an endearing way). Other couples will call each other "darling" or "dearie".

Of course, when I was in relationships, I had terms of endearment too, from the guys and vice versa. I still remember my (second) ex would use to call me his "wife" in front of his friends and brother. His brother, too, used to address me as "sister-in-law" in Chinese. In our letters and cards to each other, we would address each other in "disgusting" names, which, come to think of it now, are rather embarrassing, albeit sweet.

I have had other terms of endearment by others as well. But mostly names I hate, as I find them more insulting than endearing. To the person saying that, he thought it was funny and humourous, but to me, I did not appreciate his sense of humour as it seemed like an insult.

I had other terms of endearment from my family too. My mum has her own pet name for me. So does my paternal grandma. So do my cousins. How my family members address me is definitely different from how others address me, because nobody goes around calling others pet names unless one is really close to the person.

Perhaps now I have outgrown the use of nick or pet names. I cannot foresee myself ever using any form of endearment on another guy, even if he is my partner. The most I will use is probably the commonest form of "dear" or "darling", and even then, that is only for the one special person, not just any mere person.

Just like I am not comfortable with anyone else calling me "dear" or "darling", unless I am really close to the person. With girlfriends it is okay, as I have no qualms any of my girlfriends addressing me as such, but with guys, I will get really uncomfortable, as if I am not the girlfriend, then I do not think he should address me as such (unless he is gay, then that is a different story).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...