Lilypie

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Books Galore!

I was doing a bit of stock taking at home, and I realise that I need another bookshelf! Yes, I have more books than clothes! My brothers have more CDs than clothes, but for me, I listen to the radio mostly.

Class 95 and Gold 90.5 have most of my favourite songs, so I have no need to buy that many CDs. Besides the kind of songs I like, I can hardly find the CD compilations. No point buying a whole CD just for one or two songs, so I rather burn songs I like and then compile into a CD myself. (Oops, did I just confess that?! :-p)

So anyway, I have enough books to set up a store. We have a big bookshelf along our second floor hallway, where my parents store all their books, with only a little corner for mine. So my books started spilling into the study, where my brothers store their books that spilled out from their room.

Now, my books have spilled out from the study to my room. My bookshelf is already full and my books are now everywhere, on my desk, floor, even stacked on top of my (unused) electone! Some have already spilled into the attic! Which is why I need another bookshelf, and a bigger one at that!

Come to think of it, among all my friends (excluding my second ex as he is another avid reader with a voracious appetite for books), my house is the only one that actually has a bookshelf in every room, and a big one in the hallway. That shows just how much my entire family likes to read.

And the bookshelves we have actually contain fiction and non-fiction books, as well as magazines, whereas for most of my friends, the only bookshelf they have is in their room, and even then, they got it because they need to store their school books. The rest of the bookshelf are used to store toys and other trinkets, instead of books. Which is why for those who have come to my place, they always get astounded by the number of books we have.

My mum has been nagging me to clean up or give away all my books. But I am not selling away any of them! My parents are always so bewildered why I buy books instead of borrowing from the library. I do go to the library to borrow, but if it is a book I really like, I will buy it after returning it.

The reason I buy books is because I can read and re-read it again and again, whenever my mood fancies. Books feed my mind, one is so much more enriched after reading a real touching story or a captivating book.

There are so many lessons one can derived from books, from language to grammar to vocabulary to poetry to history to philosophy to human nature to psychology to relationships to medicine to science and technology to law to astrology to religion to food to travel to music to dance.

In fact, everything that can be found in this universe can be learnt from books. Which is why I am so grateful my parents started me reading at a young age, as I think I will go around in life missing out on a lot if I do not read.

Now what I need to do is to list down all the books I have, and start re-reading them again. Sometimes one gets a different opinion when one reads a book again, at a different age and stage. Perhaps I may be able to understand the story better the next time round, perhaps I can grasp the message which I failed to grasp. And that is why my passion for reading will never fizzle!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...