Lilypie

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dining With Strangers

I went for a social networking event consisting of a sit-down dinner with four guys and four girls last night. It is an interesting experience considering that was the first time I went for an event like this. But why did I feel like a mother hen?

Everyone else there are younger than me! Even though they are not that much younger, but I already feel a generation gap, because the things they talk about are fun things like roller-blading, wakeboarding, diving. Things which younger folks like themselves will enjoy but an "oldie" like me will not.

Just a few years back, I would be game for roller blading and wakeboarding, and even scuba diving. I even took a couple of diving lessons before, then they became too expensive and time-consuming. So I was game in my younger years to try interesting things.

Yet now I feel too tired to try exciting things like these anymore. I rather have the simple life, doing simple things. Maybe because I am already beyond the stage of fun, and craving for some domestic life?

But it was a nice group. Everyone exchanged emails and contacts, promising to keep in touch. As usual, in a group event, especially with strangers, there are some who could break the ice easily, some who remained quiet throughout, some who would contribute and share in the conversation.

Everyone had interesting stories. For instance, one of them spoke about travelling, and I contributed my own travel stories. Someone mentioned about playing tennis, so I spoke about my own experiences with my lessons. Another one mentioned about movies, and another mentioned about upcoming good movies. Everyone had something to say, which was a good thing!

Overall, it was a fun event. I got to meet new people whom I would otherwise not meet. Despite them being young and fun-loving, they are still nice to talk with and hang out with. We were thinking of an outing one day, so I really hope we can keep in touch, and not just stop contacting each other!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...