Lilypie

Monday, March 3, 2008

ASL Please?

0303. Third of March. Another appropriate date. And I have a raging fever, dizzy spells, feelings of nausea and runny nose. I was already sniffling during the weekend, but was trying to suppress it, and now I am down with flu. I feel so sick that I had to actually cancel a date tonight!

Wonder if it is due to the stress and busyness of meeting all the deadlines at the same time? A sign of old age - no longer can I rush assignments and meet several deadlines at one go with just minimal rest. I could do it like a decade ago, and still felt refreshed, but now my body breaks down just after a week or two.

Recently, I met two guys from a certain website. Then we migrated to chatting online. But I know for sure they are not the kinds I want to continue chatting with, because the moment we started chatting online, the very first question they asked was, "ASL Please?" In other words, "age, sex and location please."

Erh... they met me online. They saw my profile. Then they started contacting me. Obviously they would know how old, which gender and where I come from! So unless they are blind or totally non-receptive, why would they even bother asking a question like that?!

Perhaps I am being too harsh and judgmental in writing them off, but those whom I have gotten along with after meeting online, are those who can strike up a real interesting conversation immediately, and not ask questions like this, because they have already gone through my profile and know the basic things!

For me, if I am to contact anyone based on an online profile, the profile must have captured my interest enough. So I will make sure I go through the profile thoroughly to find out the basic things about the person before contacting the person in the first place. Thus, by the time we actually strike a conversation, I will have already known how old, which gender and where the person hails from.

Of course, I do not expect everyone to think or act like me, but what I am trying to say is that, since those people are not that interested in studying my profile thoroughly in the first place, chances are they may just be contacting anyone randomly, and not really that interested in getting to know a person.

Or worse, they may be picking anyone by stabbing in the dark, hoping for a chance to get laid. I have come across too many like that, so I tend to be more wary and cautious nowadays.

I do not know if I actually make sense by saying what I did, but if a person is not that interested in the first place and just trying the luck, then why must I bother showing interest as well to entertain people like that? I have had enough of dubious characters, and the last thing I want is to be misunderstood of being open for cyber sex or something like that again.

The fact is that, I have met people who think and act like me, ie study my profile thoroughly before contacting me, and then we engage in interesting and stimulating conversations, be it online or through other modes of contact.

These people are those who have probably screened through lots of profiles and deem mine as interesting enough to contact in the first place. They do not settle for just any random ones or pick any out of the blue, as these are the ones who probably feel I share some similarities with them and serious about actually making friends, instead of trying their luck in getting fresh.

So much as I am tempted to shut down my online profile many times, I shall continue keeping it in the hope of meeting more people whom I can feel affinity with. Who knows, I just may meet someone right? One never knows, the right person may suddenly pop up out of nowhere. I just have to be discerning in selecting who to reply to so as not to keep meeting dubious characters again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...