Lilypie

Monday, March 20, 2006

A Dedication ....

I always wanted to write out a love poem of my own, but I suck at poetry, thus I have to resort to using sonnets from the greatest writers of old.

One of my favourite love sonnets is from Elizabeth Barrett Browning, who wrote to her husband, the poet Robert Browning, during the nineteenth century. She has really summed up what love itself should be like.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnet 43, Sonnets From The Portugese

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, - I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! – and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

4 comments:

KaiRiNu said...

So sweet...=)
I miss being soooo in love...=p

Anonymous said...

salt of the earth and light of your life? loving him with your whole heart body and soul??...r u dating jesus??LOL =)

Elvina aka LaoNiang said...

I love poems... :)
this is really a nice one.

Love your musings too. I do hope you can still support project pink. I have put up some updates on my blog, pls do go and check it out.

If the girls don't stand by me, who else will??? :(

Hope to hear from you soon!
Elvina

shakespeareheroine said...

Kairinu : Your chance will come when you least expect it. :-)

Anonymous : There's no basis for any comparison b/w Jesus and anyone else.

Elvina : Hey thanks for dropping by! Will check out your updates, thanks again!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...