Lilypie

Monday, March 13, 2006

One Step Into The Grave?

I think I am doomed to an early death the way I live my life. Just as well, since having too long a life is not necessarily a good thing. Once you get older all kinds of problems start coming, and the worst scenario would be getting so sick that you are hanging between life and death but not actually dying, and you could be hanging there for goodness knows how long.

This came about due to a lecture my mum gave me about my eating habits. I am not like my youngest brother, who eats anything he can lay his hands on. My first brother is more particular about the food he eats - there are only those few of his favourite dishes which he must have, so my parents would bring him to those places that sell those kind of food each time he returns.

As for me, I am not as picky as my first brother, but not a glutton like my youngest brother. I do choose my food, although unwisely according to my mum. As it is, my youngest brother and I actually compliment each other in terms of eating habits, since his favourite types of food are those which I do not eat, and my favourite types of food are those he cannot stand to eat.

I like my food "colourful". I cannot stand looking at or eating bland food. Thus, I will lose my appetite the moment I see all the dishes steamed and colourless. I like food that is fried or roasted or pan-fried to perfection. In other words, oily stuff.

I cannot live without chocolate. That includes white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, chocolate milkshake, chocolate malt, hot chocolate, etc. Besides that, I cannot live without chilli, especially sambal or curry. Neither can I live without fried chicken, or anything fried for that matter. Or keropok (prawn crackers), hot and spicy potato chips, durian chips, popcorn (I always mix the sweet and salty ones together).

I must have some spice or sauce in my food. I like my food spicy or salty or sweet, but not sour. Thus I will never add vinegar into my food (which always triggers off a joke among my friends that I am not one to "eat vinegar" - translate that into Chinese and you will get the meaning).

Yet all these food are those that will cause my body to heat up and I will develop a sore throat from eating too much. I was told to cut down on food like these due to my recent singing lessons. But since I am prepared to die early, obviously I have not been cutting down, which is why I have to accept if some days my voice is not up to par.

I know my eating habits will push me further into the grave, but on the other hand, you only live once, so why bother getting so worked up over health food or organic food or what not, as long as it is eatable food? As long as we eat to survive (and some people survive to eat), that is all that should matter.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Heh.. my parents don't care what I eat, as long as I eat enough :P

shakespeareheroine said...

How lucky. Nowadays my mum will nag if I eat something which she deems as unhealthy. Which is why I seldom eat at home nowadays.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...