Lilypie

Sunday, March 5, 2006

Going University - Not Just For Studying?

I always get irritated whenever someone tells me that a university education is useless, especially for my type of major. These same people said that having a degree does not guarantee lots of money and career prospects, so why must I waste my time and money?

Needless to say, these same people are those who stopped schooling after ‘O’ levels or diploma, and would rather take the years to go out and earn a living than to continue studying and waste more years, as they think that no matter how much one studies, it does not help in the job.

It is alright how they think, but what I find disappointing is that is money and career prospects all people care for? And what makes them think that a tertiary education is only for those who want to study? If a degree is not important and does not help in jobs, why are the jobs all looking for graduates?

When I gave up law, most of my friends scoffed at me, saying that I wasted an opportunity and if I had a law degree, I could be very established and earning lots of money now. When I went into teaching, they scoffed at me even more, saying that why would I want to give up something that would earn me three times the amount for something that is so thankless?

If is as if they let cash run their lives. Even my mum, to a certain extent, told me to get a job that can give me good prospects and good increment, rather than something that would ultimately made me stagnant. Thus she is not approving of the idea of me being a music teaching, as she always feels that there is no prospect and I will not be able to grow in my job.

What irritates me even more is that now when I finally have the chance to further my studies, people ask me why I want to do that for? I said I want to learn more things, and also my parents will like me to have higher education. And these people have the impertinence to ask me why I am letting my parents run my life? If I do not want to study, no one can make me.

No doubt I wanted to give up studying after my ‘O’ levels, but now I want to study more. I want to upgrade. I want to have higher education. I have wanted that ever since I graduated the first time round. They have no right to say anything about my parents, whether or not my parents are the ones who want me to study is none of anyone’s business.

But going to university and struggling for a degree is not just to secure a future. Whether we will be working or not, whatever we will be working as in the future is irrelevant. A university education, or any tertiary education per se, lets you gain knowledge, make new friends, participate in activities, immerse in all the fun antics of campus life.

All these experiences are so enriching that I will never trade them for anything else in the world! No amount of money or bright career prospects can ever take away these memories and times which will stay with me for a lifetime.

So actually entering tertiary education is the best thing I have ever done, although I never wanted to admit that in the past. And for those who think only dumb people will continue studying after their ‘O’ levels instead of going out to make money, then (although I hate to say this) I think these people are the dumbest of all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...