Lilypie

Sunday, March 19, 2006

An Enriching Retreat

Today's retreat was really enriching. At the end of it all, I was so touched that I cried a little. The session was conducted by a Sister from one of the missionaries, which I did not manage to catch the name.

The session was on our journey into the bible class, and onwards to baptism, how we feel about the whole process, how we have grown and how we think we can continue to grow, how the journey has changed us.

There were some sharing and reflecting amongst the sponsors, godparents and those going for baptism. Everyone has his / her own story on how they journey through the faith, and how they grow in their faith.

I shared on my own experiences, how my cousin (who is now my godmother) first started bringing me to church when I was still a little girl, the Cathecism classes I attended while studying at the convent, how my first two ex-boyfriends brought me to church and let me know the teachings of the Bible, how I defended my religion each time my third ex said something against it, how I felt my life was in a rut last year and my friend invited me for the bible class, which made me decide to get baptised.

It gives me the conclusion that at times, even if you do not believe, but the one up there really has His own plans for you. Thus those Christians I know who are pushy need not be so, because when a person is ready, the one above will be the one calling, not anyone else.

I also discover that my life has improved ever since I embarked on the journey of faith. Last year when everything was going downhill, ie career at a standstill, love life gone, family life still not that good, all of a sudden a lot of Catholics entered my life and I became quite good friends with them.

They started sharing with me their own experiences, and encouraged me to take up the class so that I can learn more, and get baptised so I can officially be part of the family. When I started the class, a lot of my questions and doubts have been answered.

All of a sudden, I know where my life is going and how I shall progress. I got a better (although not necessary more enjoyable) job, got the perfect person, and I find my temper, disposition and character improving.

Where in the past I would get irritated over every slight thing, now I let a lot of things be. Where in the past I used to expect my guys to have certain type of behaviour and treatment of me, now I find I am able to be more understanding and not so clingy (I hope).

Partly also because of the fact that this guy knows how to make me happy on his own accord, but still, I find myself being more calm, relaxed and happier once I stop expecting others to live up to my expectations. I realise now that just because I am like this and do certain things, it does not mean others have to do the same. Thus, I have just let lots of things go.

The Sister brought up that although we may not know every bit of the bible after the class, but the fact that we have changed into a better person, and being able to turn over a new leaf is already an indication that we have accepted God in our lives.

Hopefully I can continue being a better person. It is for my own benefit, as well as others. Afterall, I would not like to hurt others unintentionally if I say something wrong, or if I flare up, or if I do something which may hurt others but which I myself am unaware of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...