Lilypie

Sunday, March 12, 2006

New Cyclist On The Road!

At last, I finally learnt how to cycle! All thanks to my darling's unwavering patience yesterday. We went to East Coast Park, rented a bicycle (a rather big one in my opinion) and he started guiding me on how to maneuvre a bike.

I kept falling in the beginning as the bike kept turning all ways. He told me to pedal faster and turn the bike to the left if I feel it falling to the left, and turn it to the right if I feel it falling to the right. After many false starts, a few falls, and an hour later, I could finally go a little distance without his support!

We actually rented the bicycle for two hours, but it started raining, so we had to seek shelter halfway. When the rain simmered, I wanted to start again, but he was worried as the ground was slippery. I wanted to see if I could cycle all the way back to the kiosk without his help.

So we set off and I pedalled faster in order to balance the bike better, and he ran alongside to keep pace with me. I wanted to slow down in case he could not catch up, but he said that he is a seasoned runner, so the speed was alright.

But it was not as easy going back. When he started guiding me, we went to the pedestrian walkway so I could cycle slower. When we went back, we were on the bicycle and roller-blading walkway, so there were many more cyclists and roller-bladers around. Plus the ground was slippery due to the rain.

I collided with a roller-blader, fell off the bike a few times when I swerved to miss a few cyclists, almost went into a ditch, and essentially being a road hog by cycling right in the middle of the lane where everyone was either coming or going.

Goodness, I was such a road hazard! There really should be a beginner's cyclist probation sign or something to warn others, just like the car's probation plate for beginner's drivers.

When we went back to the kiosk, it was already fourty-five minutes overdue, and had to incur the extra charge. I was tired, sweaty, bruised and aching all over, with scratches on my palms, knees and even my new Baby-G got scratched a little, but overall it was worth it. After three hours, I finally knew how to cycle!

We went to a seafood restaurant for dinner, where we had curry crab, cereal prawns, crispy beancurd and sambal kang kong. I was so hungry that my appetite was more than usual. And coincidentally, a few tables away from us, I saw my second ex's extended family. I do not think they saw me though.

He asked if I wanted to go over and say hello, but it was so awkward. In their eyes, I disappeared just like that. When my ex dumped me, he did not want to tell anyone at first, and he told me not to tell anyone in his family. Thus I just "disappeared". So they would think me rather rude and uncool that I just left without a word.

We went for a long stroll along the beach after dinner before he accompanied me home. We both had a very tiring day, thus both of us had an early night. I woke up with my body aching today. It was the first time in so long that I exercised for so many hours in a day!

I cannot wait to go cycling again. I always knew it is fun, but I never know how fun it is to be able to cycle on your own. Besides, I still need practice in starting up the bicycle and balancing the bike. Hopefully next time we can rent two bicycles and cycle together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...