Lilypie

Monday, May 1, 2006

The Story Of 8 Friends

My friend recommended me the show "Eight Below", so we went to watch it last night. According to my friend, he says it is the type of movie I would love, since the main thing is that there are dogs in it, and besides, it is a touching story.

After watching the show, I thanked him for his recommendation. It is really a movie I would love, and I cried after watching it. The movie is about true friendship, between humans and animals, and between animals and animals, courage, non-wavering attitude, and love among the master and his dogs, and among the dogs themselves.

The show is on how eight Huskies were left behind during a big snowstorm in Antarctica, as the plane was not able to take all of them. Before the humans left, their master tied their collars tighter so they would not get free.

However, the plane was not able to go back on time due to the impending snowstorm, thus the dogs were left at the base for a week. They were sad, whiny, cold and starving. Until one of the dogs spotted a bird, and craved for food, he barked at the other dogs, managed to get himself free and ran after the bird.

The other dogs followed suit. Slowly, all of them stuck together, and they understood to follow the leader. They found food together, never took any action unless the leader said so, kept each other warm at night, whined when two of the dogs died.

It was such a touching scene, on how they all stuck together and comforted each other. Dogs are man's best friend, but they also seem to be each other's best friends. Sometimes, even friendship among humans do not go to that extent.

Meanwhile, the master was trying ways and means to go back for them, and it was after a few months before he managed to go back to the Antarctica to look for his dogs. He was prepared for what he might find.

When he found the body of one of the dogs, he started to panic, then when he realised the others managed to escape, he felt relieved but sad that he might have lost them forever. I can totally relate to that, as I felt the same way when one of my dogs went missing and never came back.

However, the dogs sensed that their master had come back, so they all ran back to the base and pounced on the humans happily. The master was so happy and touched that he started crying. He packed them all into the snow trailer and brought them home.

I cried at the end of the show. It was such a heartwarming show that I could not help feeling touched. If I am in the guy's shoes, I would have done the same thing - tried ways and means to go back for my dogs.

The reason the show is good is not because of the human actors, who are in pretty normal roles, but the dogs. It is the dogs that steal the show. I believe the dogs must have been intensely trained in order to put up such a stunning performance, but what amazes me is that they do not look like they are acting in a show, but rather really surviving out in the cold on their own, doing things which they will naturally do.

I hugged and stroked my dog the first thing this morning when I woke up. He was ever so happy to see me, despite sometimes I did not have the time to really sit down and play with him. No wonder my cousin chose to have a dog instead, it really is a loyal and faithful creature no matter how you have treated it.

Next show I was recommended is "Mirrormask", which my friend said is by Neil Gaiman, the author of the "Sandman" series. Perhaps I will catch it if time allows, because with the numerous blockbusters coming out this month, I have my hands full with the shows I plan to watch.

First up, "Mission : Impossible III". Next, "Poseidon". Next, "The Da Vinci Code" (finally!), and then "X-Men III : The Last Stand". Not to mention the other summer blockbusters coming up in June. I am going to have a whole month of movie enjoyment at least!

3 comments:

angie bern said...

hi. thanks for dropping by... liked some of the stuff you've written and would like to add your link on my page. =)

angie bern said...

oops... forgot to add, erm... lovely song that's playing... but each time i visit your page... itz kinda painful =(

shakespeareheroine said...

Hi, sure go ahead and link. I'll link you too. You like the song too? Triggers off memories for you I guess? Anyway I'm changing the song soon, have been playing it too long already. Hope to see you around again!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...