Lilypie

Friday, May 12, 2006

The Deserted North-East

My country is a very small place, hardly to be seen on the world map. Thus to cater to the growing population and modernisation of society, high-rise buildings had to be built for people to stay and work.

So the government had been developing areas ever since the late fifties, starting from the Central West, to the Central North, to the West, to the East, to the far West, to the far East, then up to the North, far North, South-West, North-West, and finally the North-east.

The North-East had always been a tad undeveloped, especially the far North-East. Even as late as the early nineties, there were still traces of fish farms scattered around the area. Thus the few neighbourhoods consisting of the far North-East are still being developed even now.

I was there on Monday evening to look up a friend who is (or was?) temping in one of the neighbourhood shopping malls there. I will not even consider it a "neighbourhood" because there are hardly any flats around, and most of the land is still sparse.

A big change from the area I stay in. I thought my area itself is rather undeveloped as compared to other areas already, since there is not even a mall there, and the nearest mall is a few train stations away. But at least there are many eating places, bus services and two train stations.

I made my way there after work. First company transport to the train station. Then take the train down and switch to the North-East line. Go all the way to the last stop and switch to the Rail and drop off at the third stop.

I must confess it is mighty hard to get there! Thank goodness the North-East line came up, otherwise I really would have no idea how in the world to get there! But at least here, no matter how far you go, the most amount of time taken is two hours, even if you travel via train from the last stop of the North-East line to the last stop of the North line.

But it was worth it. I met up with my friend, who incidentally does not look like any of his photos, sort of explored a new area, and went grocery shopping since there is a supermarket. I bought a few things for the office and some things for my guy as well.

And because my groceries were too heavy, I hailed a cab back. The cab driver seemed unfamiliar with the area, and kept asking me where to go. I told him I had no idea too as it was also the first time I went there.

He lost the way a little, then in the end he stumbled upon a familiar area to which I directed him the rest of the way. At least he was nice enough to charge me only half the price for bringing me around in circles.

The far North-East made me feel like I have gone back in time fifteen or twenty years. It is quieter, more peaceful and laid-back as compared to the other more heavily-populated areas.

A nice feeling, but I think I will feel very bored if I stay there for long due to the inconvenience of travelling and lack of amenities and facilities.

To those in the know : two weeks more. Finally, I can have a chance to meet some of you for the first time! Really looking forward to it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...