Lilypie

Friday, May 5, 2006

Public Bonus Grant

I received my Progress Package last week. I am not one to reject when the government gives me money, but I find it a little unfair, considering I got such a measly amount as compared to my peers who are earning more and own more material possessions than me.

My friends say that the main reason I received that amount is because I am not entitled to any military allowance, and that I live in a three-storey detached house with a big driveway and garden. So the amount I got will be lesser based on the type of property I live in.

My mum received the same amount as me, but her case is different. What she earns in one month can easily be what I earn in half a year, and to some people, their entire year's combined income! Besides, she owns the house, not me. I am just a resident. That amount is nothing to her, but it is quite something to me.

It is not fair! To decide how much to give based on our address? How would people know I did not just happen to rent the room next to the kitchen? I am earning lesser as compared to my peers, and I do not even own any car or property whatsoever, so why am I getting so much lesser?

On a more cheerful note, I think I do not need to vote after all. So I do not need to waste my Saturday morning queuing up just to cast my choice.

What happens is that my house is smacked right in the middle of two constituencies. The entire area in front belongs to Constituency A, which is a walk-over, not surprising considering it is held by one of the most prominent and powerful members of the main government.

The entire area behind belongs to Constituency B, which is a contest between the main party and the opposing party. All along, I thought I am under Constutuency B, but apparently, new links have been drawn up and now I have been put under Constituency A.

My parents are saying that so far there have been no election or promotion posters or rallies around, so most likely we need not vote after all. Oh well, at least I can just sleep in and not worry about anything.

3 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Not that I am very politically inclined, but you do seem to view voting as a waste of time.

I am of a similar bias, but it was mainly due to the fact that back home, politics was a farce. At least now it seems that my current President is worth supporting enough for me to consider voting for his party the next time.

(I am talking about Indonesia here, for clarification.)

Anonymous said...

Cant agree more with you. I disagree with the way they allocate the Progress package basing on the address which you are staying in because it just aint fair to the residents (not the owner of the houses).

The amt of the Progress package given should probably be based as a percentage of the annual salary. That way, it would be fairer.

Think about this for a better picture. A person who is staying in a landed property(Person A) might not be earning as much as another who is staying in a flat (Person B) because Person A saves more every month and puts piority of his earnings to property while Person B spends it on a larvish material items. Now, basing on the way the gahmen allocate the Progress Package, Person B would get awhole lot more than Person A. Hmmmmm... surely there is something wrong wif this calculation isnt it?

shakespeareheroine said...

Ole Wolvie : Voting per se is not a waste of time. Only because in the end, after the long queue and you finally made your choice, the results are still as expected, so what's the point? No matter who I vote for, the main party will still win.

Anon : Yes, very true!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...