Lilypie

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Da Vinci, Decoded

Solve this anagram : A Man's Oil. I am surprised at myself that I managed to solve it the moment I saw the promotion poster outside the theatre. Answer : Mona Lisa.

But I am so happy that I can finally watch the movie which I have waited almost a year for. When we reached the theatre, it was such a long queue, from in front of the box office all the way to the middle of the shopping mall.

Since we were almost right at the back of the queue, we could not even see the timings on the little screen properly. What luck that we are both deeply myopic and do not have perfect vision even with lenses on.

So I stayed in the queue and he went in front to check out the timings. He came back and told me that almost all the shows have sold out, all the way until the midnight show. What?! He said we could always watch another show and watch this the following week.

No way! I waited so long just to watch the movie! Besides, I am looking forward to "X-Men" next week! Even if it is not Da Vinci, I want to watch Tom Hanks in action!

So we decided to try our luck at the theatre in the next shopping mall. And luckily this time we managed to get tickets, not just for Da Vinci, but "Over The Hedge" as well.

Tom Hanks put up a superb performance, as usual. The movie is more than just an adaptation; it is almost the entire book itself. Every character, every scene, every action, it is just as if I am reading the book all over again, but with moving pictures this time instead of just words.

The only part that was changed is around the end when Sophie discovered her true identity, and the identity of her grandfather. The movie-makers decided to change that part probably to make it more interesting, but actually, I feel the book's ending is still better.

Overall a very good movie of the drama genre. Although we are wondering what garnered the NC-16 rating, since there is no nudity or coarse language or real violence anywhere. Perhaps it is the storyline. But then, the book has been read by kids as young as nine even, so does it really matter even if kids below the age of sixteen get to watch it?

It is true that a picture speaks a thousand words. I never know how magnificent the Louvre is until I saw it on screen, or how beautiful the Mona Lisa and Madonna of the Rocks are. Da Vinci was a genius indeed, to be able to create such artistry using just a few colours. And it was after reading the book that I started looking at the Last Supper a little differently.

The book and the show is just fiction. Dan Brown was sued for blasphemy because of his works. And Christians worldwide are protesting to ban the show. However, a good piece of fiction is a good piece of fiction.

People should just keep an open mind and understand that everything is just fiction. Just because one reads the book or watch the movie, does not automatically mean one becomes a betrayer of the faith. It is how you live your life and practice the faith that determines a good Christian, not because of some author's good imagination.

P/S. For those in the know, one more week! I just want to thank you very much in advance. Will touch base soon regarding venue and time confirmation. See you!

4 comments:

Anonymous_X said...

People should just keep an open mind and understand that everything is just fiction.

Wrote about it once. Glad that you are mature enough to know that it as a Fiction. ;)

Richard said...

I read the book because someone had told me that reading it had destroyed her faith. So, my curiosity go the better of me.

The book was ok. Easy to read. The first third was hard to believe (way too complicated and convoluted - just like all good "conspiracies" should be). The middle presented his "thesis", which is just plain wrong. Finally, the ending was pretty good. So, overall, as a work of fiction, it was pretty good.

Though I have no plans to see the movie.

Different cultures rate movies differently. I was surprised to learn that Singapore originally banned The Rocky Horror Picture Show (and now permits it as an adult only movie).

In Quebec (the province I sometimes live in) it has a G (general admission rating) - other provinces rate it as 14+. IN some places in the USA, it is rated 18+.

I had no problem with my kids watching it - although Sofia did. There are some great musical numbers in it. In many ways it is a wonderful film about tolerance (Although, the Catholic Church rates it as morally offensive).

Goy said...

Surprisingly, it's a book I enjoyed reading even though its blasphemous. It enjoyed it more as a thriller and the way they solved the puzzles and all. In fact, it's all in a matter of fiction. Take it with a pinch of salt and enjoy it.

I was quite disappointed when they didn't elaborate how they really go about solving each puzzle. It's like some how or rather, Robert Langdon just happened to guess the correct answer instead of using his logical ways.

shakespeareheroine said...

Anon_X: Hello, am I that immature in the first place? ;-p

Richard : Actually the rating system here is much stricter. What can be rated G in US and Canada, can be rated M18. THat's just the way it goes.

Goy : It's fiction, so don't take it too seriously. It's blasphemous only if you start taking it as the truth. Actually he did explain how he got the solution. Read between the lines.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...