Lilypie

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Tracking Changes ....

There is this function in Word that allows one to make amendments called "Track Changes". I absolutely loathe that function! It is so confusing, especially when a document needs to be amended several times!

No doubt it is a good function. At least when documents are being compared or amended, the changes are reflected. Once everything is approved, you only need to click on "Accept Changes" and voila! a new document is in place.

However, it is not a good idea if a document needs several drafts before the final version. Just like if I need to amend a document several times, the changes being reflected get more and more, and at the end of it all, you cannot even remember which are the latest and earliest amendments.

First round the amendments are marked out in blue. Second round red. Third round green. Fourth round pink. Fifth round orange. Sixth round purple. Seventh round brown. At the end of four rounds, my eyes will start to water and my head will start to throb.

It is worse if a normal printer is being used to print out the document. Then everything will be in black and white, there will be so many strike outs and new insertions that one gets cock-eyed just looking at the document itself.

I only hope I do not get into trouble with the Administration side for using the colour printer so much. But I have to. I simply cannot figure out where all the amendments are if I do not see it in colour.

Gosh, I hate documentation work!

2 comments:

Richard said...

It is fine for minor edits - not major revisions.

It is a real pain when you have tables that get automatically updated.

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, I hate that too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...