Lilypie

Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Upgrading For A Better Future

I attended a company convention today. It was a break from work, but at the same time I had to sit through about four hours of economics lecture, which was pure torture! When I used to have Economics lessons four hours a week, it was already a big struggle for me, and now to have it in half a day, I really could not take it! I was trying not to drift into dreamworld almost the whole time.

However, the points brought up by the GM were really valid. He spoke on outsourcing, collaboration, globalisation, upgrading and the missions and visions for the next year. So it seems that our Kazakhstan and Thailand projects are going smoothly. If both are successful, the company may want to branch out into more countries.

The part which I remember the most clearly was when he spoke about upgrading. He said that a lot of foreigners who have Masters degrees are infiltrating our local job market. And these foreigners are really hungry for jobs. They do not mind doing something less than what they qualified for, work longer hours and have lesser pay. They do not mind how far their workplace is, and although armed with such high qualifications, still go for upgrading courses.

I find it so true. Even in schools, it is the foreign students who strive to achieve, while our local students are not even bothered to attend school. And when it comes to work, I find some of the locals very picky over jobs. The distance cannot be too far from their homes, cannot work shifts, cannot work weekends, cannot do things not specifically stated in the job scope, must be paid according or higher than normal market rate, no less, etc.

When I told people I am going back to study again, so far my foreign friends are the ones who encouraged me and wished me luck. Only the locals (not all, only about two or three, compared to zero for foreigners) will question why I want to study again when I already have rather decent qualifications. So? Does that mean I cannot study more?

I asked these same few people whether they will consider upgrading their qualifications, and they told me no. They said they have already been working for some time, so going back to school, even if it is on a part-time basis, will disrupt their lives. They do not wish to struggle working and studying at the same time. Besides, they are doing pretty well, thus do not see the need to upgrade. It is precisely this mentality that is why they are the ones who are so self-centred and shallow.

I have a couple of friends (one Malaysian and one Indonesian) currently taking their part-time Masters degree. Of course I believe it is a struggle for them too. It is never easy juggling studies and work at the same time, especially with the numerous assignment deadlines and examinations to study for. But they are going to persevere for the next couple of years just for the sake of a better future. And just as well they are both still single, so the time can be concentrated on their jobs and studies.

What about those with family commitments as well? It will be an even harder struggle. My mum only received her Masters few years back. It was a real big adjustment for her as she had left school for more than twenty years, had to work as a high-ranking civil servant (and civil service jobs are the hardest to do, especially those in the higher posts), supervise my brother in his studies, take care of the household (especially with my dad often away) and attend classes at the same time.

I saw it with my own eyes how little she slept, how she sacrificed her weekends of family gatherings and shopping trips just to study and do her assignments, and how her group discussions always took place at our place. Needless to say, she always asked my dad and me to help type out her assignments as she really did not have the time to type everything out herself at times. And I still wonder how she managed straight As for her work performance and her Masters degree at the same time.

But I did get my reward after she graduated though. As gratitude, she gave me a necklace with the letter 'C' and studded with four sparkling diamonds from Tiffany & Co! The nicest piece of jewellery I ever owned, which I wear only on special occasions. Come to think of it, it must have cost her a bomb.

I really salute her in this respect! My mum is really one capable woman! I really wish I can be like her. The other day, I was re-arranging the bookshelf on the second floor hallway when I came across two booklets on Applied Chemistry, and they were written by my mum! Apparently, it was her honours year research thesis. Goodness! Applied Chemistry! One subject I can never ever do. Maybe that is why she always think I am useless, as compared to her, I am a good-for-nothing indeed.

But anyway, back to my point on upgrading. I still feel that there is no harm to upgrade. No doubt there will be lots of time, dedication and commitment involved, but after struggling for the few years, a better future may be secured. It is like a short-term investment for a long-term gain. There are always things to learn and somewhere else to go after one receives the certificate. I guess all it boils down to is time-management, priorities, discipline, concentration and focus.

Thus, some of the locals should not be so narrow-minded regarding this issue. What is the use remaining stagnant for life, without growing in knowledge, exposure and experience? I fear that with this mentality in more and more locals, especially the pampered younger generation, sooner or later, we are going to lose all our jobs to foreigners.

Which means I only have until up to end of this year to continue floating around having fun. Come Janaury or February, I also have to start planning on how to manage my time for my work, studies and other activities. I hope I can be just a fraction as capable as my mum.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Do keep in mind though that 'upgrading' does not necessarily mean getting a Masters or a PHD.

Like me, I would really like to upgrade my writing skills, and a Masters is not going to do that for me. I need something else, and so far I have not found it yet.

(Although sadly a lot of people and companies only demand to see paper certificates.)

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, I know that. Upgrading qualifications is just one aspect. There are upgrading on skills and other aspects too. It is still good to learn and pick up more things along the way, not just in studies, but in other areas.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...