Lilypie

Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Metrosexuality Vs Masculinity

My name has just been changed to "Rose". Not by myself, but by some people who know me. It must be when I left the quote of "A rose by any other name....", so now some people think my name is "Rose". Very good, let them think that way, then I can avoid dishing out my real name to people I do not wish to communicate with.

In recent years, there are more and more men making themselves look good and better by going for facials, spas, gyms and even grooming their eyebrows. In some countries, men go as far as putting on face powder and lip gloss or lipstick when they go out. In fact, last week's TIME Magazine just had a feature on men grooming. Men are even wearing eyeshadows and mascara with eyelash curlers lately! Seems like men have broken into what had always been a predominantly female world.

Not that I disapprove. In fact, I find those guys who take pains to look good, ie not afraid of showing their metrosexual side, sexier and more pleasant in appearance than those who do not. Face it, no doubt one should not judge a book by its cover, but first impressions always count. The TIME Magazine article also said that it was due to what women want, that was why men started grooming.

There is nothing wrong with a guy who takes pains to look good. I have many guy friends who think metrosexual guys are sissies, and muscular guys are the ones that get the girls. However, if the guy is only muscular but tuggish-looking and rough on the edges, chances are girls may not like that type. At least I will not. I prefer a metrosexual masculine guy any time!

Vanity is not just a female thing. You will be surprised how many guys really take pains to make sure they look good before going out. A good example will be that even if guys wear the most casual gear, ie Bermuda shorts and a normal T-shirt, the thing they must do before going out is to make sure their hair is nicely gelled. When a guy starts to gel his hair to perfection, sometimes he may take even longer than a girl putting on all her makeup.

Being metrosexual does not mean expecting the guy to wear a suit or tuxedo all the time, and it definitely does not mean for the guy to wear makeup. I will not be caught dead with a guy who actually wears makeup. I draw the line at lip balm and moisturizer. Clear gloss is fine too. So is eyebrow trimming. And hair gel of course. Even if he curls his eyelashes that is still acceptable.

Being metrosexual essentially means looking good by taking care of one’s skin and projecting a nice image. There is nothing wrong with a guy using a cleanser, toner, moisturizer, scrub and mask, nor is it anything wrong with a guy going for regular facials and spa sessions. Facials help take care and regulate one’s skin by getting rid of all the dead skin cells and diminishing your pores to prevent less wrinkles and blackheads. And that is good for anybody, be it female or male.

There is also nothing wrong with a guy using a shampoo, conditioner and hair mask. Good shampoos, conditioners and masks help make the hair shiny and soft and more easily manageable while preventing dandruff, thus keeping the hair healthy. Of course with guys having naturally shorter hair, they do not need to spend a long time washing their hair.

And there is nothing wrong with a guy shaving or waxing (and I do not mean only the facial hair). Clean-shaven guys are actually sexier! Most guys I know will never shave their legs as they think shaven legs are a sign of being a sissy. But actually it is more hygienic to shave, as one cannot imagine the amount of dirt and dust that can be clogged up in the finer hairs. But of course, I am not asking that guys shave every few days or every week like some girls, but just once in a while. It will be an embarrassment for me to be with a guy who is even more clean-shaven than me (unless he just happens to be naturally hairless, then that is another story)!

Some guys I know do not bother to dress up. When asked, they said that they are guys, no one is going to notice them. But I feel that dressing up is one way of taking pride in oneself. I do not dress up for people to notice me (although if people did notice me then that is of course great!), but I dress up because I like to look good, and by looking good, I can feel better and more confident about myself.

Like I mentioned, dressing up does not mean wearing a suit all the time. Even on casual outings, one can dress up just by a normal top or jeans. It all depends on what one wears and how one carries oneself. It depends on what type of clothes suit the type of body one has. So far I have been rather lucky that all the guys I went out with (be they friends or boyfriends, except maybe my first guy) are pretty good dressers. At least no one has ever gone out with me looking like Ronald McDonald’s twin or something to that effect.

Some guys should throw out their reservations and start to take care of their own skin and body. There is nothing wrong for a muscular guy to be metrosexual, especially since now more and more metrosexual guys do sports or hit the gyms. So the entire image “packaging” looks fantastic from head to toe. I think I should start to hit the gym again (something I gave up three years back) to scout around for all the eye candy.

To choose between a muscular beefy guy who looks tough but does not take pride in his appearance, and a not-so-muscular guy who looks good and sensitive and definitely takes pride in his appearance, I will choose the latter over the former anytime! And I believe most girls will choose the same.

5 comments:

gus said...

hmm.. that's why my wife always nag me... :-) come to think of it.. my hygiene standard has actually raised two-fold as compared to pre-married standard .. maybe that's not enough yet :P hahahaha

shakespeareheroine said...

Really? Good influence from a loving wife then! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Reads like the indoctrination of the less fair sex by a vainpot.

Stay said...

I've met her. At least she has the qualites to be a vainpot; and a gorgeous one at that.

shakespeareheroine said...

Anon : I have never once denied I am a vainpot.

Stay : Thank you! One of the best compliments I have ever received!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...