Lilypie

Friday, November 4, 2005

Having (Or Lack Of) Chemistry

Chemistry. A dreaded word for me. Yet without chemistry nothing can happen. Chemistry balances equations, creates new chemicals and medicines, and can even determine a person's love life.

How often I have friends telling me they are trying to find new friends and going out with new people, but in the end nothing much because there is no chemistry. And then there are people who fell in love at first sight simply because the chemistry is there. It is like two different chemicals being mixed together - either the chemicals fuse with an explosive action, or they just simply do not mix.

I do not know about guys, but girls are more receptive over this. We can tell even after a brief meeting whether we have chemistry with this person and worthy to pursue and progress the friendship to a different level. But for someone like me, even though my instincts told me, I chose to do otherwise, and in the end got myself into a whole lot of mess with people. I must learn to listen to my inner voice more. I have concluded that my gut feeling is almost never wrong.

Recently I was trying to introduce a guy friend to a girl friend. The guy expressed interest, but the girl did not wish for anything more as she said there was a lack of chemistry. And she told me that now we are all busy working adults, it is time to differentiate between mere acquaintances and friends, so we can have the time to spend on our actual more important friends. How true that statement is!

Some will say the girl never gave the guy a fair chance. On the other hand, if there is already no chemistry between two people, is it likely that things will progress further? The same girl friend said that there is a guy who has been pursuing her for two years, and he showered her with lots of expensive gifts, but there is already no chemistry in the beginning, and now two years later, still no chemistry even though she tried to give the guy a fair chance.

When I asked her if she had told the guy, she said she already told him from the beginning that things will not work out between them, but the guy chose to persist. He said even if she does not like him, that cannot stop him from being nice to her. She told him to stop all that and go for other girls, but he chose to waste two years of his life doing something which can never succeed. I wonder if he is just lovesick, desperate, sweet, romantic or just simply have too much time on his hands and does not mind wasting his life like this?

But my friend had dealt with so-called stalkers for a good part of her life. Somehow the guys she met did not seem to understand the meaning of "no chemistry" and "cannot progress further". There was this guy whom she met at the bus-stop outside her place. They always seemed to take the bus at the same time so after a few days, he started talking to her.

But he came on too strong and she sensed that there was no feeling, so told him she was not interested in knowing him further. After this, he would wait for her at the bus stop and started following her home. She was so freaked out that she twsted and turned trying to lose him, and when the coast was clear, immediately dashed home.

A few days later, her sister saw someone looking into their balcony with a pair of binoculars from the opposite block. My friend took a look and got the shock of her life as it was the same guy who was following her! I am not sure if she called the police or what, but at any rate, the police came and removed the guy. Wonder if he ended up at Woodbridge?

But I notice this chemistry thing works on most people. The people whom I can get along rather well with are those whom I already sense chemistry at the start. But for me, there are different levels of chemistry.

With some people, the chemicals just mix and change colour and stays like that. These are those that have become my good and close friends, but nothing more will come out of it. With others, the chemicals mix and start to bubble until the solution explodes and changes into something better. These are those who have become my boyfriends, or the people I have developed feelings for. With some others, the chemicals simply do not mix. These are those whom I have not much chemistry with and although they are my friends, I do not contact them that much.

Then of course there are others whom the chemicals cannot even get in contact with otherwise will explode. These are those that I definitely have no chemistry with and I do not keep in contact with them at all. There are also those who think they have chemistry with me but on my part, the chemicals definitely do not mix, so I have to let them know. Unfortunately, the more they try to force the chemicals to mix, the more explosive things will become.

So now my friend and I are both professing to find someone where the equation can be balanced. Thus until we meet someone where CaCO3 + H2O + CO2 = Ca(HCO3)2, otherwise we have to continue exploring which chemical reactions will trigger something off and which do not.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Ah.. put this way, I think I am a Radon then.

That should explain most of my predicaments.

shakespeareheroine said...

What predicaemnts? Non-reactive to almost everything? But on the other hand, Radon is a noble gas by itself.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...