Lilypie

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Say A Little Prayer ....

I have been reflecting on the use of prayer lately, which triggered off a discussion with my friend last week. I have always been told that we should not pray for what we want but rather what is best for us, but sometimes how would one know what is best for us? My friend, a regular Christian church-goer, said that only God knows what is best for us. So when we pray, we should ask for guidance rather than wanting things to happen the way we want.

But why is it for some people, whatever they want they are able to get, but for others, they can never get what they want? And every religion and denomination functions and prays differently. When things do not happen, is it the way people pray, or simply they do not pray enough? Yet there are others who do not even go to church except during Christmas and Good Friday, and do not pray except during a crisis, but somehow their prayers can come true.

Of course I am not saying that just by praying without any work on your part miracles will happen because they will not. The effort still must come from youself. So instead of sitting back and just relying on prayer alone, one must be proactive in finding food or shelter or a job or a mate for the family or self. All I am saying is that there are people who try so hard and pray so hard, yet the things they try to do never seem to happen. Then there are people who do not seem to do much and do not pray much yet what they want always seem to happen. Why is that so?

I never impose my beliefs on others as I feel it is each individual's free will to believe what they want. However, once in a while, I will ask my friends if I can pray for them in my own way, especially if they have important affairs which they must succeed in. Somehow my prayers for my friends seem to come true, but mine mostly do not come true. Why is it that when a person tries to lead as good a life as possible, his / her prayers are normally overlooked compared to others who lead a life of sin but yet things are better for them?

Or perhaps I am not staunch enough. But is being staunch the real issue? Christians are also humans who have their own quirks. You see some people being downright selfish and self-centred, yet when they pray, their prayers often come true for their own gain. I know of people who live their lives being nice to others and living as holy a life as possible, yet their prayers often do not come true as well. Times like these I do not wonder why some people just lose faith after a while.

I also cannot be a living example since my own prayers often do not come true. If my prayers come true, my entire life would have a totally new course of events. I would have graduated with first-class honours, or even Masters, been very successful in what I do, found a job that I can stick to, or gotten married years ago.

That is why although I do not like it, I still cannot really blame my ex for scoffing at my beliefs since he is successful in what he does, despite being a non-believer, but my life seemed to be going downhill for a period of time, despite my regular church-going.

But I am not about to lose faith. I still do believe that somewhere out there, there will be something and someone best for me, and I will just continue praying until that happens. Meanwhile, I will explore my options and exercise my own choices, so hopefully I can find a job real soon before I run into serious cash flow problems.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

paige_ly@yahoo.com

世事难完美只能靠自己...

梦会醒被冷水照头淋醒;

强在我们会适应顽强地随生活低潮另行革命
争一口气不可能腾飞都展开双臂...

listen to this before?
(rhytm as in London bridge is falling down)...

"有只雀仔跌落水跌落水跌落水
有只雀仔跌落水游水归去..."

(Cantonese version)


下雨天;大势趋洪流下童年做过的梦已无力再追...

原来实情不像所盼又能怪谁???

shakespeareheroine said...

Very philosophical indeed!

Anonymous_X said...

I also cannot be a living example since my own prayers often do not come true.

That's the most misconception about praying. You don't pray to demand things from God. You pray to have a talk with God. It ought to be a conversation. Not a two-way monologue.

Give you one example: I fell sick yesterday due to gum infection (darn the legacy of the wisdom tooth operation monthS ago). I prayed not to have God miraculously numb the pain. I prayed that God instill a firmer understanding within me about how often I took my health for granted.

I deserved the pain & I thanked the Higher Being for the lesson.

shakespeareheroine said...

Hmmmm.... I'm still learning. Thanks for the lesson!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...