Lilypie

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Always The Maid, Never The Bride

I am going to be a bridesmaid. Nothing to get so excited about anyway considering I have been a bridesmaid for about eight times during my cousins’ and friends’ weddings. Hmmm… maybe that is the reason why I am still single. Always the maid, never the bride.

My friend is getting married in December and she has asked a few of us to be her “sisters”. So before choral practice on Tuesday, we met up and discussed the various little things like colour and clothing coordination, things we had to do and the venue of the ceremony.

She will be marrying a foreigner, and her fiancé is busy with his work, so he will not arrive until a few weeks before the wedding. Thus she had to plan everything ahead before he arrived. Luckily he let her make all the decisions and will go along with what she had planned. I have not met him, but I believe he is a real sweet guy considering she is so happy with him, despite the long-distance relationship.

I once asked her if she was ever angry when he called to postpone his trip here for the umpteenth time. She said of course she was but on the other hand, she could not expect him to give up his work just because of her. When I shared with her some problems faced by people in long-distance relationships, she remarked that as long as both parties know exactly what they want and make things work, distance should not be too much of a factor.

She said that as one ages, one’s expectations of a relationship will differ. Younger people may feel frustrated at a long-distance relationship as they like companionship and for the loved one to be around always. Of course there are long-distance relationships that work out, but it must have been a hell of a struggle to maintain and probably takes a whole lot of commitment and self-sacrificing.

But as people start to mature and know exactly the type they want, then distance is not a factor anymore as long as both found each other and know you are right for each other. She said she believe my expectations of a relationship now differs from what it was in the past.

I told her not really. I still look for about the same type, except now I hope for someone more into me. So she said that is why my expectations have differed as now the priority is on someone committed, and all other criteria are second-place. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

We are meeting up again some time next week to finalise some details, and each of us will be bringing our own dresses for her to see. I am really excited about this. I have always been enthusiastic about weddings, because it is just such a beautiful and magical day for the couple, the day they vowed to spend the rest of their lives together.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

So.. she's going to emigrate?

shakespeareheroine said...

No, her husband is coming here to settle at his own insistence. Good for them also, then won't be apart anymore.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...