Lilypie

Monday, November 14, 2005

Jaywalkers' Scuffles

Although I have more or less found out my parents' characters, it does not make it easier for me to bear the things they say to me sometimes. I know I have told myself to just take things easy and not be so affected by what others say to me, but when it is your own parents or someone close to you, somehow I will get affected because it is twice as hurting.

My parents got their new car yesterday, a navy blue Camry, that looks a little like my dad's old Mercedes-Benz. It is a sleek shiny car, bigger in size to take in more people without the need to squeeze. Anyway when I was examining the car when they came back last night, I was holding on to a book which was ready to be put aside to be passed to someone whom I am loaning it to.

My dad saw the book and asked if I am reading that. I said I have read the book a few years back already, to which he said that the book is on the meaning of life and existence, was I able to understand? I said why not as the book is pretty easy reading, and I have read books which are much harder to understand. To which he said I must be reading the simplified version then. I said my book is the specially autographed edition by the author himself, so I believe it should be the original unabridged version. Geez..... does he really take me to be so idiotic and shallow?!

But maybe it is just a Chinese or Singaporean mentality to find fault in everyone else except themselves. Just like when K and I were walking to the train station after our movies outing, we saw some traffic police officers standing around a certain traffic junction. I do not know why there were so many traffic police officers segregated around, and why only that particular traffic junction, especially when the light was in perfect working order, but we saw that there were pedestrians who were either too bold or too blind to notice, and crossed the road while the light was still red.

We saw this guy being warned by one of the officers after crossing the road, and he had to surrender his identity card to be recorded down. I was remarking that no doubt a lot of people do jaywalk, but if you see an officer in front of you, then for goodness sake, do not break the law. When the lights turned green and we crossed the road, we saw some pedestrians involved in a scuffle with some of the officers.

We overheard a little on how they complained that others jaywalked but were not caught yet they jaywalked but were caught, so why were they the ones who were booked yet others could get off scot-free? They refused to hand over their identity cards and said they wanted to complain to the superior on being "unfairly treated".

My friend and I were so amused at the pettiness of some people. If they were to jaywalk and got caught, that was just too bad and accept it, because they were breaking the law in the first place. No amount of arguing could justify that they were not in the wrong. What is the use of blaming everyone else to try to cover up one's own mistakes?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...