Lilypie

Friday, November 11, 2005

MBTI Personality Traits

My family is going to Turkey instead of Tasmania, because apparently the flights down under are all fully booked. Oooo.... Turkey! The fusion of the East and West! The Blue Mosque, the kebabs, the original location of Troy where the ruins still remained..... Now I am actually feeling a bit left out of being, erh, left out.

A few days ago, my mum organised a staff seminar for her company to determine an individual’s personality. She brought back the questionnaire and asked me to complete it. The questionnaire is based on the Myers-Briggs Indicator Test, reputedly the most accurate personality analysis test in the world.

Apparently most major organisations will organise the MBTI workshops for their staff to take this test so as to assess the characters and strengths of each employee. In fact, I was supposed to do this test a few years ago after my NIE course, but somehow missed it.

The Myers and Briggs Foundation went through years of study and research before it came out with this personality indicator test. According to the Foundation, each individual’s personality consists of four out of the eight characteristics, with a maximum of sixteen combinations from the eight characteristics. The characteristics are actually opposites of each other, ie Extroverted (E) and Introverted (I), Sensing (S) and Intuition (N), Thinking (T) and Feeling (F), and Judging (J) and Perceiving (P).

Extroverted and Introverted are self-explanatory. One is more outgoing and prefers being with a lot of people, whereas the other likes spending quality time with oneself. The equivalent of Sensing is practicality, ie using mind over heart. Intuition is the opposite, ie romanticised fantasies and thoughts and using heart over mind.

A Thinking person is someone who is logical and analytical and wants everything to have a logical explanation. This type is normally task-oriented and has no qualms being overly-critical of others as long as things get done. A Feeling person, on the other hand, is naturally sensitive to how others feel and often cares more for others’ reactions and try to be a peacemaker in order to avoid conflict.

Someone who is Judging is on target and plans everything in life, meticulous and obsessive, whereas a Perceiving person prefers to just take things as they come and wants to do things that will not interfere with his / her own free time.

So, each individual’s personality will be categorized into ESTJ, ESFJ, ESTP, ESFP, ENTJ, ENTP, ENFP, ENFJ (the extroverted personalities), or ISTJ, ISFJ, ISTP, ISFP, INTJ, INTP, INFJ, INFP (the introverted personalities). The two extreme opposites are ESTJ and INFP.

Those that have both F and P in their personalities have to be careful not to be overly affected by whatever people say or do as they can get very sensitive, whereas those who have both T and J in their personalities have to be less curt and crtical as they may risk hurting others with what they say or do.

Those that have both E and S in their personalities are people persons. They are naturally bubbly and make friends easily, whereas those that have both I and N prefers to think to themselves and like it best if they are left alone when they are musing.

My personality is one of the extremes – INFP (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceiving). No wonder I am always so melancholic and sentimental. So now it has been proven I am such a person, I guess no one can blame me for being the way I am. I used to get criticised for being too dreamy and being too nice to others to the extent of losing myself. I have to try to be less affected by others though.

My mum happens to be the other extreme – ESTJ (Extroverted, Sensing, Thinking and Judging). No wonder she is the way she is, and no wonder both of us cannot stand each other at times. My youngest brother is something like her – ESTP, although his ‘P’ and ‘J’ has almost the same score. My dad is ISTP. Hmmm….. am I adopted? Now I am very curious to see what my other brother’s score is. Hope my mum lets him take the test when he comes back.

6 comments:

Candace said...

Thanks for this. I'm supposed to take this test to try and sort out what to do with the rest of my life vis-a-vis feeding my family. My first time through I could only answer 15 of the 93 questions (mbti step 1 form m). I hate the language of the test: too vague and ambiguous. Your post is helpful since I guess I'll have to try it again tomorrow.

Ole' Wolvie said...

From the web page, I can roughly confirm than I am a IN-P.

Problem is, T and F is about 50-50, and the Science-Engineering training has skewed some 'N' tendencies to 'S', and emphasized usage of 'T'.

Can't be sure. I took another test when I was with the school, which was at least 80% accurate.

aquavitae said...

Hi SH.. thanks for the link. kept forgetting what the name of the test was. It's only a tool, but fun nontheless.

shakespeareheroine said...

Candace : Glad you find it helpful!

Ole Wolvie : The 'I' part is definitely true, but the rest seems a little more ambiguous.

Anon_X : Good advice indeed. :-)

Aquavitae : You're very welcome! :-) I used the extra link you provided too.

Goy said...

Haha, i think this website can be taken with a pinch of salt. Sometimes people do change for the better or worse.

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, people do change, but the fundamental traits will still be there. For instance, someone who has been extroverted is not likely to suddenly change to someone introverted, as he will feel so uncomfortable without being around people. Likewise, someone who is judgmental may try to curb their cutting remarks and become a better and less offensive person, but it will not be completely gone despite how he tries.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...