Lilypie

Thursday, November 3, 2005

Fun Vacations?

I find it such a chore going back to the office today. I am in laid-back holiday mode for this week, thus having enjoyed myself yesterday, going back to the office today seemed like such a torture, especially since tomorrow will be another off day, and then Friday back to work again.

Why can the public holidays not occur on Thursday and Friday, then we can just have the long weekend off? A pity I just started working, otherwise I would have taken the whole week off, and maybe go out of the country for a while. I would so love to go Redang or Langkawi, or any other beach resort where I can just goof off and enjoy the sand and water the whole day, not to mention scuba diving to see the colourful marine life!

My mum had to flaunt in my face that she still has six more days of leave to clear, and thinking of going on a holiday with my dad and youngest brother. She gave my brother three choices – Washington DC, New York City, or Hokkaido.

Wow….. NYC!!! Now I wish I can go along, then I can visit Tiffany & Co’s headquarters, Madison Avenue, Statue of Liberty and Manhattan! But my brother chose Hokkaido to see the snow and the all-he-can-eat fresh seafood. Anyway we both know that it is no use choosing the place, as ultimately it will be my mum choosing wherever she wants and the rest just have to tag along.

I am rather lucky in that I have been to several places. My parents have brought me to Jakarta (to visit my relatives), Medan, Lake Toba, Fraser Hill, Johor, Kuala Lumpur, Genting Highlands, Cameron Highlands, Malacca, Penang, Sydney (again to visit relatives), Perth (when my first brother was studying there), Canberra, Tokyo, Seoul, Pusan, Cheju Island, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiangmai, Hong Kong and the furthest we went was to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon.

Unfortunately they have never acceded my requests to bring me places where I really want to go, like Europe, South Africa and Canada. *Sigh* On the other hand, to enjoy myself thoroughly, I rather go on a tour with my friends and not my parents. I really do appreciate my parents bringing me places, but it is not as fun or enjoyable going on tours with them as my mum is so controlling on tours that she wants everything done her way.

We have to go the places she wants to go, eat the food she wants to eat (and it is always Chinese food, not the country’s own delicious cuisine), put up with Mandarin or dialect-speaking tour guides and follow her everywhere. We cannot even go off on our own to explore the area. I feel more stressed and edgy going on a holiday with her, as she could be so jumpy at everything!

She wants her say on everything, even the way I pack my luggage, the type of clothes I bring, what I will be wearing to take the plane, the type of food I ask to eat, etc. Two entire days with her is more than I can take. Strangely, she is not like that at home, only on tours, when it is supposed to be a whole family get-together relaxing trip. I do not wish to sound so ungrateful or unfilial, but my mum really drives me crazy when I take a holiday with her. Even my brothers agree that is so.

Maybe that is why some of my friends say that taking a trip together can either make or break a relationship, especially among couples. There are couples who come back with their love stronger than before, and there are couples who come back broken up.

So far I have only been out of the country with my second ex, and it was not with him alone, but together with my best friend as well. The three of us took a ferry ride and went to Bintan, where we could enjoy the sand, water, and relaxing Javanese massage, went to the night market, drank under the stars at the outdoor beach café, and had American breakfast in bed.

This small three-day trip may not be compared to any of the week-long or more fancy holidays I took with my parents, but it is the one where I really enjoyed myself and had the most fun in, as I got to do absolutely everything I wanted. And luckily my friends also liked the luxury of sitting around at a beach resort, plus the fact that we all accommodated each other, so there were not scuffles or tiffs on what to do for the day.

But I guess scuffles occur only if the people you are going with do not like the same things you do. For instance, if I go Europe, it is to absorb the rich culture, visit the beautiful historical buildings and sights, and enjoy the weather and nice flowers. Shopping is normally rather low on my list, as my first priority would be to enjoy the musuems, cathedrals, theatres and local life. If I am to go with someone who is not interested in doing all these and only want to sleep or shop, of course there will be tiffs.

Similarly, if I go down to the Gold Coast, it will be to scuba dive at the Great Barrier Reef, enjoy the sand at the beach and to visit Warner Brothers Movie World, Sea World and Dream World. If I go with someone who is not game in diving or enjoys the beach, then we will be courting disaster. Holidays are meant to be relaxing and fun, why get involved in disagreements and petty tiffs to make each other more stressed up?

Just a pity it is so hard to find someone with similar interests as myself. Perhaps I really am from another planet.

4 comments:

Gravity Drop said...

Wow, you are well travelled.
The furthest I have been is Toronto to Montreal.

What stops me right now is the lack of passport and money.

shakespeareheroine said...

Thanks. Although not as well-travelled as my parents, and I hope to visit more places if I ever have the chance.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hi wow you are really lucky to be able to travelled far and wide ya. Huh I like the sea and the just sitting down relaxing watching the sea waves splahing etc. If you wanna to go somewhere in Malaysia, let me know ya, I tag along with ya okie........

Live, Laugh and Love....and don't take life seriously.....

shakespeareheroine said...

Haven't really travel that far and wide. My parents have been to more places than me. They have toured almost every country in Europe, and have been to Russia, and most of the major cities of China, and they have also been to Canada. I have only gone to a fraction of where they have gone to.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...