Lilypie

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Playing With Fire

I just met another local guy who turns out to be a total prick. My friend asked me why am I a magnet for this type of personalities, to which I said only local guys are like that. The foreign guys I meet are really nice and decent. And the same thing happens to some of my girlfriends too.

But those pricks are more or less of the same type – in their thirties, good jobs, own vehicles, and all single. Perhaps local guys after a certain age and they are still unattached, they tend to be more desperate thus show certain abnormalities in order to get a girl, but they do not realise that those abnormalities are what turn girls off in the first place.

Just like this particular guy. He is trying to get my attention, so wrote a poem to me. That itself would be a sweet gesture, but for the fact that the poem was obviously copied from somewhere else and passed off as his own because I recognize it as one of W. H. Auden’s pieces. What makes him think I will like him more if he did things like these?

He claims he reads and writes, but if he plans to “bluff” his way through, at least check out the background of the girl he is talking to. I may still be fooled if he tells me untrue things about technology or biochemical sciences, but do not try to fool me with talks on books and poems and history. From the things he say, he is definitely not a reader or a writer. I have friends who write articles and poems, and they behave and talk in a certain way. This guy is so different from them!

I told him if he is going to pass a real poet’s works off as his own, that would not only be an insult to the poet, but also to me. He kept insisting he wrote it himself, but I told him I recognised it as a W. H. Auden’s poem. I could even find the piece for him. After which he asked how did I know about W. H. Auden? Other girls seemed so impressed when he wrote them the poem. Gosh…. how many girls had he “conned”?

I told him if he wants to play with fire, check out the background of the person first, because one of these days he may get himself too badly burnt to recover. Apparently he did not seem to know what I was talking about because he said since I did not like the poem, he would write me another one. And he wrote me one from T. S. Eliot. The nerve of this guy!

What makes him think girls will swoon at his lies? He seemed surprised that I do not like both “his” poems. I said I like the poems, but was just disgusted at the way he tried to plagiarise. Apparently he did not even know the meaning of “plagiarise”. Still claims he is a reader. Finally I told him that if he really knows and wants to share, by all means, but if he does not, then do not try to bluff his way through. That will only make things worse.

6 comments:

gus said...

hahaha.. don't be too hard.. afterall he is just trying..maybe trying too hard that's all.

And even if he plagiarised, at least there's some effort there to search for the book/poem. Afterall if he is not a writer or reader, he won't know T.S.Eliot / W.H.Auden without effort.

good luck .. :-)

Anonymous_X said...

I said I like the poems, but was just disgusted at the way he tried to plagiarise.

*applause at the background*

Maybe he was thinking that he didn't technically break a law as those poems were unlikely still under copyright after all these years.

Sure, his effort at 'discovering' the poems was quite commendable (Nah, on second thought, not really. How hard it was anyway to hunt for information nowadays?).

His lying about it (claiming the poems as his own) was however diminishing whatever (teeny-weeny) approval he had earned by displaying his knowledge on the existence of the poems. :\

Ole' Wolvie said...

W. H. Who?

Me is totally clueless about poems.
But my collegue liked the haiku I made about summer beer :P

imp said...

this guy is unbelievable! which planet did he come from? he might have been considered smart if he chose lesser known poets rather than literary great. DUH!

shakespeareheroine said...

Gus : Probably. I just dun like people who are not truthful.

Anon_X : Yes, my sentiments exactly.

Ole Wolvie : W. H. Auden , a British poet. And your haikus are cool, really great!

Imp : Very true what you said there!

Cowboy Caleb said...

Hahahaha, asshat of the year award goes to that guy eh?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...