Lilypie

Monday, May 12, 2008

A Study Break ....

I am on study leave this week, which means I am supposed to study, but somehow I seem to be losing my focus. Or maybe I am retarding. Many a times, I find myself being mentally slow lately. I do not seem to be able to get what others are saying at times, or to solve even very simple mathematical calculations mentally! Wonder if age plays a part?

To recapitulate, from my experiences with the previous examination, the paper tomorrow will focus on six topics, of which I need only to answer three. First will be on Art Appreciation, second on sonnets, third on philosophy, fourth on the architecture and history of the Roman Colosseum, fifth on the paintings and message during the French Revolution, and sixth on historical sources as well as testimonies of these sources.

Of course, in any examination setting, one is not expected to answer the question like how we answered our assignments. Assignment papers went through lots of reading, research, drafts, amending before the final paper, together with references and bibliography. In an examination setting, we are not expected to cite sources or have a bibliography, nor do we need to submit a research paper.

The examination tests us on how we remember the basic facts, and from there, analyse them and form our own opinions and arguments, drawing our own inferences and conclusions, all within the time limit given. We are supposed to write at least two and half pages per question, in paragraphs, like how we formulate an essay, especially since there is no word limit unlike the assignments.

There have always been people who write a lot, pages after pages per question, but in the end did not score well. Then there are those who write just two pages or so yet manage to score better. I have realise that it is not on the quantity but quality. I guess everywhere is the same - focus on quality, instead of quantity.

It is not true that the more you write, the better you will score. Actually, the more you write, the more mistakes you make. Someone with a real flair of the language will know how to convey the exact message in the fewest words. I have yet to master that skill. Then perhaps I can finally express exactly what I want to say in the least number of words possible!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...