Lilypie

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

One Down, One To Go

One down, another one to go! And I am back at work today, to clear certain things, as well as to submit a work report to my new superior. Having a new person with a new management style can go either way. The previous one never asked for any progress report, now the current one wants a report every bi-weekly (fortnightly?), with the first one due on Friday.

Come to think of it, what exactly have I been doing ever since he arrived? Sorting out documents, dealing with property transactions, scanning and categorising, fixing minor computer problems and programs, administrative matters. Really trivial things. Yet these take up quite a bit of my working hours that I have let my real work lapse. Wonder if he will start wondering if I am justified to my post and remuneration once he sees my work report.

The paper last night was tough, as with all papers. Since when have I ever not found an examination paper tough? I am not those who breeze through examinations without much effort. Hopefully the one tomorrow will be alright.

The topics will be on the emergence of the English Language, from Old English, Middle English, to Shakespeare, Dickens, and modern English, what is "good" and "bad" English, the effects of "right" and "wrong" grammar, how English has evolved through the years in the various countries, and the analyses between language art and language play.

If I breeze through this, I may start considering taking up just one module next semester again. I did say the reason I took up two modules was because I wanted to have the maximum load so I could finish the entire course as fast as possible, but after one semester of a full load, I find I really do not have the energy to keep going on like this. Thus, I may just go back to taking one module again.

Focusing and concentrating in the bid to score better is still better than just rushing through the subjects. Yes, one can graduate earlier, but with just mediocre grades and less sanity. After the accelerated course I went through in university, I ought to have learnt my lesson. But that time I was cramming ten to eleven modules every semester, now I was only taking three. But then that time I was studying full-time, now it is the other way round. That time I was younger with more energy, now I am getting older and more lethargic.

Besides, I need to score well enough to get the Honours degree, which means at least straight Bs every semester. As it is, I am not that confident I could score a B for the examination yesterday. Afterall, what is the use of taking up another degree if one is not going to achieve higher than before? If I want another basic degree, I may as well not take up this course. So, it is not that good an idea to keep cramming at the expense of my grades.

Come to think of it, if I really do not score well for this examination, I may just opt to resit the entire examination again next semester. Score better next time round and pull the grades up a bit. I know I am being bonkers, but if that is the only way I can achieve better grades, then I will not mind taking the paper again. Looking back, perhaps back in university I could have opted to resit those subjects I did not do well in, then perhaps I could have scored much better?

By the way, an update on the email scam of my previous post : the moment I sent an email to the so-called lottery company and law firm asking the former to offset from my winnings and the latter to bill me later, I have not heard from them again, when previously they replied to emails pretty promptly. Neither have I heard from that "dying woman" anymore. So what does this show? Anyone knows what it means. Hopefully no one has been fooled by this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...