Lilypie

Monday, May 5, 2008

Of Fate And Destiny

It is funny indeed this thing called destiny, or fate. It makes the most rational, logical and strongest people behave in the most irrational, illogical and emotional way. It makes the smartest people do the silliest things. No matter how people claim they are in control of their own destinies, but when the fates are working for (or against) them, they just cannot control how they feel and act, no matter how much they try to.

Perhaps it is fate that we come across the people in our lives, but it is destiny that determines our fates. A fate without destiny is just not meant to be. How to determine our destinies? I guess the only way one can determine if it is destined to be is how comfortable and happy we feel towards what we set out to do.

For instance, how would you know this is a job you really want to do? Maybe after all the difficulties and problems, in the end you shine in the job and you realise you really love it and cannot foresee yourself doing anything else, that will be when you feel destined for the job.

Fate and destiny determine relationships. Maybe before we were born, we were already destined to be born into our families, with our kind of parents and relatives. Some were born with silver spoons, some were born into working class families. Some were born into families where the relatives are calculative and sponge off them, some with very nice relatives. How we were educated and brought up, how our lives are shaped, are probably all a part of our destiny.

I have heard accounts of friends and relatives telling me how they know their respective partners are the right ones. One of my cousins said that he had a lot of female friends. A lot of them are really pretty and rich. But when he went camping once, he realised he missed a certain girl a lot, his heart was pining for her. And this girl is now his wife, and mother of his two kids. She is just normal looking from a normal family, but I guess that is how destiny works.

What touched me was my friend's account of how her husband and her got together. She is the strong, logical, practical and feminist type who thinks she is above any man. But when she met her husband, and he would be going overseas, he actually wanted to be with her, but she turned him down. Then on the day he was to leave for the airport, her heart broke, and she realised then how much she missed him. Even for someone so strong and she felt so emotional, this shows they are really meant to be together.

My dad once told me when I have met the person whom I am destined to be with, things will happen very fast, on mutual grounds. We will be very comfortable with each other and just be ourselves. Something will trigger if the person is the right one in all aspects. Like what Meg Ryan said in "Sleepless in Seattle", that kind of feeling is just like magic.

The greatest test is when both are apart. It took my best friend, my friend and my cousin some days away from their respective halves before they realised how much the other person mean to them.

Come to think of it, I have never missed anyone or have anyone miss me so badly every time I was away, except for one person, and even then, the last few trips in our last year together, we did not miss each other at all. Truth be told, we were pretty comfortable not being with each other during those times. There was no pining or the urge to contact each other all the time unlike in the previous years.

So perhaps fate and destiny is still not in my stars yet. Maybe I am one of those where things will fall in place later on in my life? No matter how much I try to fight it, how much I pray, if things do not happen, what can I do? Similarly, if things are to happen, no matter how unwilling I am, things will just happen without any warning. I guess I just have to continue waiting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...