Lilypie

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Plain English Speaking Award

Finally, it is all over! And I have been asked to sign up for this from my school, under the inter-varsity category. When was the last time I actually took part in any public-speaking? I think that was way back in upper secondary, when I took part in the inter-class public speaking competition. My topic was on the emerging trend of divorce in society.

Think that was the one and only time I actually took part in the finals of a public-speaking competition. Although it was just school-based and I did not win, but it was quite an achievement, considering ever since lower secondary, I wanted to take part every year my school organised it, but the first year, I was totally struck off by the British teacher, who told me to pronounce my "th" and "t" correctly and ensured all my consonants are correct.

So it is an honour indeed that my tutor asked me to represent the school. Wonder if I am over-age though? Anyway it is not that easy to get in. Even after I submitted the application form, I still have to get through an audition round with the panel of lecturers, and must be short-listed before I will be allowed to represent the school.

So what are the chances anyway? There are many others more articulate than me, many others more able to think on their feet, because the auditions include a prepared speech as well as an impromptu speech. And it is the impromptu speech that always make me lose marks. Oh well, I just have to see how things go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...