Lilypie

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Back To The Titanic

I heard this song on the radio this morning. Imagine that is the only movie which I watched four times in a movie theatre! Most of the time I would watch the movie once, or twice the most, in the cinema, then if I really love the show, I will get the disc and watch again at the confines of my home. But that was the only movie so far that I watched so many times in the cinema itself.

The reason I love the show is because I find the story really touching. No doubt to a lot of people, they find it a sappy love story, but the message behind it is really meaningful. He told her to move on, to live on, promise to go on with her life fruitfully and never let go of the promise. I always thought that was the ultimate definitive act of love - sacrifice yourself for your loved one, for him / her to get on with his / her life happily.

I remember my university Literature lecturer once said that the reason he had to die was because he had absolutely no money in his pocket. So if they had a happy ending where both managed to live and went on to New York, she would probably leave him after a few days because he could not support her. Which was why he had to die, so he could remain in her memory. Now that is so romantic!

But the song triggered off other things. When I watched the show four times, it was with the company of someone. When I tried to get the CD, but it was all sold out the moment it went on sale, he ordered from every music store, until one was available, then he got it for me.

There was once when he had to go for an in-camp reservist training. We were apart for like two weeks. Anytime he could, he paged and sang the song into my pager. He even downloaded the part where Jack was speaking to Rose as my pager voicemail message! He would improvise the lyrics of the song, and emailed me his own version of the song. I still have it in my email, but looking at that now, it was really mushy indeed!

And that was also the last song he sang to me, when we split. He said he wanted me to live on like how the song is like, like how Jack wanted Rose to live on, even if we could no longer be together. That was during my best friend's cousin's birthday chalet, where he came to see me for the last time and we sat around the swimming pool just crying in each other's arms.

So now when I hear this song again, it was filled with good and bittersweet memories of my younger days. I admit besides all the quarrels and arguments, I felt rather blessed during these good times. Do I still crave for these times? Actually now all I hope is to find someone who is willing to commit, because if he loves me enough to want to commit, chances are he will not treat me that badly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...