Lilypie

Friday, May 30, 2008

Carried Away ....

When I was younger, my parents used to restrict me from watching television. So in order to keep myself updated with sitcoms and serials, I had to beg my friends to help tape down the shows I liked. Like almost any typical person, I grow up on American serials.

My favourite program back in my primary school days was "Sesame Street", like just any kid around the world. Those puppets were really cute and endearing! Who can forget Oscar, Cookie Monster, Elmo (my personal favourite), Big Bird and that elephant (whom I can never remember the name), not to mention that tomato and banana who were staying together.

Then more American shows started coming. There was "Party of Five", "Dharma and Greg", "Mad About You", "Dawson's Creek", but I was not that interested in these shows. The ones my classmates were raving about were "Twin Peaks", "Northern Exposure", "Melrose Place", "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", "Beverly Hills 90210" and the most famous cartoon series of all time, "The Simpsons".

90210 was the hottest craze then. It spawned a series of clothing line and books. I felt left out whenever my classmates were talking about the show, so I sneaked a peek whenever I could. I started liking that show too, because I was envious over why school students in America could have so much freedom whereas I felt like a prisoner then. I had my classmate tape for me whenever she watched the show. And I read all the books in the series.

Later, I had more chances of watching television, because I could always go over to my ex's place to watch. He and I liked the same kind of shows, so he would always tape "The X-Files", "ER" and "Ally McBeal", then we would just hang out at his place, snacking and watching the tapes at the same time.

After that in my adulthood, there was a period of time when reality TV was the craze. So I tried to catch every season of Amazing Race and American Idol whenever I could. Not to mention "Charmed". In recent years, there are "Desperate Housewives" and "Heroes", which I never had the chance to watch, but plan to get the VCDs once they are out.

It was also in later years that I fell in love with "FRIENDS" (still my ultimate favourite) and "Sex And The City", the former because my youngest brother bought the entire set of all ten seasons, the latter was introduced by my mum's cousin who loves the show. I had watched "Sex And The City" on and off during the years they were showing, but it was after my relative who lent me the DVD of the entire first season that I started to really like the show.

So I plan to get the VCD of the entire series of all the seasons for "Sex And The City". What is there not to like about the show? Some may argue that it is a somewhat bimbotic show where the women talk about nothing but fashion and men, but honestly, that is what typical girls will talk about. Just like typical guys talking about army and girls.

The situations are really real. Problems in love, friendships that survive through ups and downs. The movie did justice to the series. It is a somewhat continuation of the series, yet at the same time bringing the entire show to a closure, with a feel-good feeling.

Not to mention the beautiful wedding that was supposed to be held at the New York Public Library building, the to-die-for Vivienne Westwood gown, and the book entitled "Love Letters Of Great Men", which convinces me to find and get that book, especially after Carrie read out the excerpt from Beethoven (and I always thought he was only capable of writing intense music!).

My favourite part of the show is the wedding with Mr Big right at the end. It was really a simple wedding, just an exchange of vows at City Hall with only the two of them, no one else. She had on just a business suit as her wedding gown. And then lunch with her closest friends. But that was also the most beautiful and touching part of the show, because after everything, they really wanted to be together. So who said one needs a big wedding bash to make things beautiful?

My favourite character is Charlotte. She is someone simple, traditional and just wants a complete family, someone who is faithful to her loved one and her friends. Somehow I can relate to that. My second favourite character is Carrie, who, despite being modern, independent and smart, all her rationality gets thrown out in the face of love. And that is how loving someone should be like - the ability to forgive and start over, despite hurts and disappointments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...