Lilypie

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

I am not referring to the movie, but the theme song. I remember I had to learn how to play this song during one of the Electone Festivals, where I was one of the contestants, but did not even pass the preliminary rounds. A few weeks later, one of the sales persons in the music school was promoting the newest Electone model then, and for some reason, the performer that was supposed to play the demonstration song did not turn up. I just finished class then, and my teacher asked me to help out. So I had to play something there and then to promote the Electone model, and I played the song, as it was still somewhat fresh in my mind.

Playing the electone is easier as there are not as many running notes as the piano. However, the technique for electone playing is in the accompaniment, instrumental registration and rhythm. The sound, rhythm, accompaniment and modulation of the entire song had to be preset and kept in a registration memory, then saved in a floppy disk. So in order to play a good piece of music from the electone, one has to play the whole song in sync with the registration. I know I am probably not making any sense here, but I am no engineer, so this is the best way I can describe how an electronic organ works.

Anyway, I managed to play the song, and it sounded really good on that model. Of course, now with newer and more advanced models, if I play the song on any of the newer models now, it will probably sound much better. I was reminded of this song when I was watching "Indiana Jones" last night with a new friend - the trademark song for any Indiana Jones show. Harrison Ford still looks good! He is one of those who looks better with age, just like Richard Gere and George Clooney.

I prefer Harrison Ford as Indy much better than his Han Solo role. But then again, most people know that, not even a human, my favourite Star Wars character is! ;-p
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...