Lilypie

Monday, May 12, 2008

Care And Concern, Or Just Naggy?

I feel amused at the way some people impose themselves on others. I am not saying that people deliberately come to my house and make trouble, but rather, how they try their best to help only to backfire.

I am not saying people should not help. They should. But there is a difference between being helpful and being downright naggy and imposing. For instance, when I am ill, I will appreciate some care and concern just by asking if I am alright. If my loved one can come to my place and bring me food or to see the doctor, that will be touching too. Normal things like drinking more water, etc, is fine too.

But when a person is ill, he / she will not appreciate a PhD thesis on what the illness is about. For example, if I am down with severe flu, I do not need a report on what constitutes flu, how to prevent it, how to curb it, and myths and legends behind the flu virus. Okay, even if I got some symptoms wrong, it could be only that I was feeling that symptom at that point in time. I do not need anyone to correct me on whether that constitutes part of the flu virus.

When a person is sick, all he / she needs is rest and some care and concern, that is it, not a lecture! It gets really irritating that all I wanted to was gripe about feeling ill, and someone gave me a dissertation! If I want a lecture, I will go to school, thank you very much!

To clarify, I am not sick. At least not at this point in time, although after Thursday, I cannot guarantee I will not be sick at the rate I am mugging. What I am stating is what not to do when a person is sick, because it gets really irritating to hear someone nag at you when you are sick, when all you want is to sleep and rest and be left in peace!

Another thing that amuses me is how some people want to take the role of my parents. I am not even talking about a boyfriend here, but just some people who for no rhyme or reason just like to pick on everything people do! For instance, I wore the strappy dress on Saturday. In the ballroom, almost all the ladies are wearing dresses like mine, strappy dresses, sleeveless dresses, even tube dresses.

Someone pointed out that how can girls dress like this? Do they feel no shame? How can anyone go around like this? How can the parents not bother or care? Erh... if I want a lecture, I will go to my parents, thank you very much! I do not need anyone commenting how I dress or look, especially when I am dressed appropriately! What really amuses me is that the one who made the comment is not some stodgy old person, but someone around my age or younger!

No doubt perhaps these people are just caring by nature, but there is a difference between being caring and being downright irritating! One can show care and concern by actions, by being sincere, by words. But nobody appreciates a lecture on how to behave and what to do, especially by just a mere nobody! I wonder, if these people become parents themselves, are they going to treat their children this way? Then it will be so horrifying for the kids!

Well, I believe I am a caring person. I show through my actions, I ask after people's well-being. But I do not go around lecturing others on what to do and what not to do, because I believe everyone is entitled to live their lives their own ways. True, I have my own thoughts and opinions, I have my own principles, but I do not impose on others nor expect them to behave like me. This is something I learnt through years and experiences.

Thus, even if I can be disgusted at the blatant behaviour some people show, I chose to keep quiet. It is their lives after all. If they are happy with how they live their lives, I am in no position to say anything, because I am nobody to them, I have no right to lecture or nag at them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...